Chuck R8 Shank Removal

Is yours from PM? If so, I thought those chucks had an integral shank so it does not come apart.

Is yours from PM? If so, I thought those chucks had an integral shank so it does not come apart.
Not true Mikey! You could use a bandsaw or plasma cutter.
(He is correct- the shank is integral.)
Robert

Not true Mikey! You could use a bandsaw or plasma cutter.
(He is correct- the shank is integral.)
Robert
Yes it is a PM and you are correct. I don't have a band saw and my plasma will only do 3/8. Guess I'll part it off in the lathe or use an angle grander. NOT REALLY! After buying the chuck I switched to TTS. The R8 is larger then 3/4 so I will have to turn it down and cut it off then add the TTS ring to it. What do you think?

Last edited:
It would be easier to sell it and buy a TTS adapter for an Albrecht or a Rohm Spiro.

It would be easier to sell it and buy a TTS adapter for an Albrecht or a Rohm Spiro.
I dream of owning an Albrecht but I'm sure it won't happen in this life. My PM chuck is a good example. I really like it.

Last edited:
Mount an angle grinder on your lathe then grind the R8 down to 3/4"
That's a good idea. Do you think the R8 will be very hard? I'll try turning a couple thousands over first. I have a DIY tool post grider. My plan is to mount a piece of 5/8" drill rod in the PM chuck and center it in the tail stock with the R8 in the lathe chuck. It's a risk I'm willing to take. It's no use to me as it is.

Last edited:
I dream of owning an Albrecht but I'm sure it won't happen in this life. My PM chuck is a good example. I really like it.

Keep an eye on ebay. These chucks do come up new from time to time. My last brand new Albrecht cost $85.00 and my brand new Rohm Spiro cost $75.00. Both 1/2" chucks retail for close to $300.00. I do have to admit that my eBay-Fu is pretty good, though.

Back