Chuck size limits on D1-3 Camlock?

SnakeyJ

Registered
Registered
I managed to buy a couple of cheap (£25 for both) but rusty 4 jaw chucks before Christmas. A 10" Burnerd 41L0 (already modded for a backplate) and a 16" of comparable quality, but currently unidentified. The 16" is way to big for my Colchester Bantam, but with a centre height of 5 5/8", I could theoretically swing the 10" with a D1-3 backplate. However, not really sure if this would be too much for the D1-3 camlock and spindle.

I've had a quick look around and can't find anything hard on max loading for the D1-3. Though typically D1-3 four jaws seem be available up to 8".

Is it worth hanging on to, or better to clean up and move on?

The problem with bigger chucks on a smaller lathe is that eventually the jaws cannot protrude from the chuck at all without hitting the bed ways. The increased usable size, in that case, can be negative, smaller capacity with a bigger chuck than with a smaller chuck -- for certain operations. On my 13" lathe, the 8" chuck it came with seems to be about ideal for all around work. With a 10" chuck, the maximum capacity would be increased for some setups, but likely decreased for others. With a theoretical 13" chuck, it would not be possible to extend the jaws beyond the chuck body at all. Somewhere on the internet, there is probably a good article on how to choose chuck sizes vs. lathe swing size.

The problem with bigger chucks on a smaller lathe is that eventually the jaws cannot protrude from the chuck at all without hitting the bed ways. The increased usable size, in that case, can be negative, smaller capacity with a bigger chuck than with a smaller chuck -- for certain operations. On my 13" lathe, the 8" chuck it came with seems to be about ideal for all around work. With a 10" chuck, the maximum capacity would be increased for some setups, but likely decreased for others. With a theoretical 13" chuck, it would not be possible to extend the jaws beyond the chuck body at all. Somewhere on the internet, there is probably a good article on how to choose chuck sizes vs. lathe swing size.

Thanks Bob - that's really helpful and was not something I'd really thought through. I will definitely need to have a hard look and measure up on this - no point spending out on a D1-3 backplate if it offers no advantage.

I have an eight inch adjust true D1-3 on my 10EE, a 12" machine. That's about maximum.

Back