Chuck Weight?

Yeah, I think you'll be okay provided you don't try to turn a huge/heavy work piece. Your lathe has a decent build and should be able to handle the weight easily. Just use tail stock support when you can.

Sorry I didn't answer your question clearly in the first place.

Mikey, thank you so much. However, it was not you that did not answer the question clearly. It was me with my jumping around on the various issues that I brought up in this thread. Plus, I guess the pictures and extra info and more precise question I added might have helped a bit :).

Sometimes a heavier chuck can be an advantage. For example, when making interrupted cuts, the extra flywheel effect of a heavier chuck might take some strain off the spindle drive and smooth the operation somewhat. Maybe I'm dreaming but its a nice dream!

I could not find any weight capacities on the dead centers.

Me neither. I posted a question here at HM back in 2015 on how to choose the right size of center drill. Information abounds on the dimensions of various center drills
https://www.i-logic.com/utilities/CenterDrills.htm
but I have never seen anything (yet) about the weight carrying capacity of each size of center hole.

Thousands of pounds cutting force on a lathe with an 8" swing? Where did that math come from?

Mild steel cuts at about 30 MPSI.
The area being cut is the product of the Depth of Cut (DoC) and the amount cut each turn (speed of cut)
So if the area being cut is 10 thou DoC × 10 thou Per Turn;
you are applying 30,000,000 * (0.010 * 0.010) = 3,000 pounds of force on the face of the tool.

Now go back and consider the forces involved when Abomb79 taking DoC of 0.400 at 0.100 cut per turn out of 9" diameter 4140 ! It is no wonder that lathe had a 25 HP motor.....

Okay, wait now. My little Sherline lathe can take a 0.060" deep cut in a single pass in mild steel. Granted, this is with a decent tool and is near the max capacity of its little 0.08HP motor but it has done this in multiple trial cuts. My little 11" Emco lathe has taken 0.20" deep cuts in mild steel with the same HSS tool without even slowing down its 2HP motor. It can go deeper if I bother to step down one notch in speed.

According to your calculations, my Sherline is experiencing a cutting force of 18,000# of force at the tip of the tool? Umm, I must say I am skeptical ...

The area being cut is the product of the Depth of Cut (DoC) and the amount cut each turn (speed of cut)
you are applying 30,000,000 * (0.010 * 0.010) = 3,000 pounds of force on the face of the tool.

Now go back and consider the forces involved when Abomb79 taking DoC of 0.400 at 0.100 cut per turn out of 9" diameter 4140 ! It is no wonder that lathe had a 25 HP motor.....

I would love to have Adam's Monarche.

I guess you had better have some awfully big arms before you pick up the gravers...

And using a deburring tool obviously takes a lot more strength than I realize...

Geez... even using a file must be more difficult than I thought it was...

Sorry... I'm kind of skeptical, also...

-Bear

Made this shelf today with some 1/16" steel. Used the mill to drill the holes with a 1 3/8" hole saw. (the arbor bit kept coming loose so I just quite using it, the mill is rigid enough I don't need it. ;) ) My sister recently found me a handheld band saw, so I used that to cut out the shape. Then it was a matter of some welding and a quick paint job. Added some rubber grommets so the collets won't hurt the rack and the rack wont hurt the collets. (the collets in the bags are just ones I've never used so I've never taken the bags off) View attachment 332312
That's 3000 PSI, right? That would make the force the tool pressing against the spindle 3000 x contact area of the tool in square inches.

Back