Chucking Reamers

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys awhile back I had ask questions on how to use reamers and to purchase only what is needed which makes sense cause they come in million sizes and looks like everyone makes them.I have one bronze bushing to ream but who knows I may need this size again one day so like to pick up one thats decent but not expensive.Expensive you ask,well I seen this size for 186.00 and I also found this size 16.00.Only use couple reamers before which couple does not classified me as having experience or expert.So its hard to tell a good one from a bad one other than the price.So I am looking at the lower end since just be using it ever so often if that much so spend more time in drawer so I am looking at this
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...-tmx-chucking-reamer-decimal-size-373-6-flute but its made over seas so was wondering if anyone has any input or suggestions?Thanks guys

How critical is the hole size? Does it need to be exactly 0.002" under 3/8"? When I make both pieces for a particular type of fit I always ream or bore the hole first and then fit the shaft to fit it. This way if the hole reams a little over size you can easily fit the shaft to fit it. Much harder to fit a hole to a shaft.

The first set of reamers I bought was from Shars. All standard sizes from I think 1/8" to 1/2" by 1/16s if I remember correctly. They were OK, but did cut a little oversize which wasn't a problem since I was making the mating parts as well. I wanted to have the standard sizes on hand so for me it made more sense to buy an import set with multiple standard sizes rather than spending more money by buying individual ones and then also having to wait to received them when I had a job I wanted to do. Since then I have picked up a couple hundred reamers via Craig's List.

YMMV,
Ted

Good morning Ted and thanks for responding.I don't think it does matter since the shaft is just kinda a pivot shaft for the power feeder on the mill just rotates little to the left/right.The bushing at the bottom is tight on the shaft and hard to rotate it,the top bushing which come from Ace is a perfect fit.The hole and shaft both measure .372 so I figure little over that would be OK.There is a booth that slips over the bottom bushing which the shaft goes through the booth and makes a seal.I believe that the oil level is just below top of the bushing.So maybe .375 is OK since the booth makes the s .IMG_0795.jpg
seal.I have also purchase couple from Shars and they did the job but no .373,.374
I don't know why the pic is in middle of sentence.Dangit

Which bearing are you making? Top, bottom or both?

If it was me and my machine I think I would just use a standard size .375" reamer. I would run it rather slow to help it cut to size and use a good quality cutting oil. A few thousands clearance might actually help since if the top and bottom bores are not perfectly in line with each other it would help in assembling the parts. I've made the mistake of trying to make repair/replacement parts for machines too tight and I have had trouble getting things together and then they end up being too tight... But, others might have other opinions based on their individual experiences.

Ted

Thanks Ted,I also think that I can get more out of .375 than can something smaller.So going to go with the .375 it should be perfect.

I would also try aligning the bushings the best you can before reaming. Maybe put a shaft through the bottom one and see where it points. Hopefully center of top bushing. They also have pilot reamers for this purpose.

to get a consistent reamed hole I usually drill with 3 different size drills , the third drill being several hundredths under the reamed size. I.e. : letter U for a 3/8th hole, 15/64 for a 1/4 hole, 31/64 for a 1/2 hole. I use a newer high quality drill for the third drill hole ,right before I ream it. Checking with pin gages has shown this technique to be accurate when drilling.

Also you can vary the size of reamed holes slightly with your choice of cutting fluid. Water based = slightly undersized. Oil based = slightly oversized.

Stefan Gotteswinter talks about it on this YouTube video about the 27 min mark.

Back