Cincinnati 1b Knee Mill Journeys to MN

In the machining world you hold tight tolerances and most of the time even tighter tolerances than that. By shimming and bolting down and leveling the machine properly you can gather a precise starting point to tram the head in every time . You go to turning the overarm and changing anything else on the machine to make certain cuts then you will change everything every time but if you bolt it down then you know the main machine will not move and will stay level it's entire lifetime in that spot. Besides its easy to drill four holes and put sleeves in. I am putting threaded sleeves in the floor so if I ever move my machinery I won't have to worry about cutting studs . If you read that manual you downloaded from my site (the service manual) you will see how they recommend you install the machine. I would follow that to the best of your ability . And yes a lathe needs to be bolted to run otherwise it can get scary. It if you're not bolted on a mill you may not get hurt from it but most likely you won't be able to hold any tight tolerances unless that's not something you're worried about . Wish we lived closer and I would help out. I have a hammer drill . But they can be rented pretty easy or hit up harbor freight they are really cheap . Just my 2¢ ! Whatever you choose is on you :) .

In the machining world you hold tight tolerances and most of the time even tighter tolerances than that. By shimming and bolting down and leveling the machine properly you can gather a precise starting point to tram the head in every time . You go to turning the overarm and changing anything else on the machine to make certain cuts then you will change everything every time but if you bolt it down then you know the main machine will not move and will stay level it's entire lifetime in that spot. Besides its easy to drill four holes and put sleeves in. I am putting threaded sleeves in the floor so if I ever move my machinery I won't have to worry about cutting studs . If you read that manual you downloaded from my site (the service manual) you will see how they recommend you install the machine. I would follow that to the best of your ability . And yes a lathe needs to be bolted to run otherwise it can get scary. It if you're not bolted on a mill you may not get hurt from it but most likely you won't be able to hold any tight tolerances unless that's not something you're worried about . Wish we lived closer and I would help out. I have a hammer drill . But they can be rented pretty easy or hit up harbor freight they are really cheap . Just my 2¢ ! Whatever you choose is on you :) .

Thanks for the feedback!

Daryl
MN

Back