Cincinnati #2 Tool and Cutter Grinder - Info Wanted

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
I recently adopted a Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder in a trade with forum member Charley Davidson. I do not plan to go into the tool and cutter grinding business as he was thinking about but do plan on tooling up enough to attempt sharpening a few tools for myself and to make some slotter tooling. I also had to fill up the empty floor space left by the two machines I traded Charley.:rofl:

I have spent time looking for a operator/parts manual for this grinder. I found two manuals online, one with print date of 1934 and one print dated 1975. The one dated 1934 shows a grinder that looks like mine but appears to be a built-in-England version. The 1975 manual appears to be a built-in-USA version and looks different than the machine that I have. I assume that my machine was built somewhere in between the two dates as the spindle head labels on it say Cincinnati Milling Machine Co, Ohio, USA.
#2 Manual Dated 1934 England.JPG #2 Manual Dated 1975 USA.JPG

The pictures below are of my machine and it's serial number ID information.
Cincinnati #2 Tool Cutter Grinder.jpgSerial Number - T&C Grinder.jpg

The information I am looking for right now is does anyone know of a manual that is for a USA built machine like the one shown in the above photo? Also can one tell from the serial number when and where the machine was built?

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

#2 Manual Dated 1934 England.JPG #2 Manual Dated 1975 USA.JPG Cincinnati #2 Tool Cutter Grinder.jpg Serial Number - T&C Grinder.jpg

Benny,

VERY NICE well equipped machine you got there.
Based upon my Serial Number Reference Book for Machine Tools your machine is a,

No. 2 Plain and Universal Cutter Sharpening Machine Model EM as signified by the 1D2T and was made in 1943 as signified by the M.

Super nice tools and supremely versatile.
Tooling up a grinder like this is EXPENSIVE but you have a nice selection of workheads, centers, and accessories so you're golden!

I'm officially jealous because my similar B&S 13 grinder languishes in cold storage and I'm anxious to start restoring it.

Benny,

I have one that may fit the request. It's out on loan being scanned for posting to a website for free down loading. As soon as it's available or I get it back, I'll get with you and see about sending it to you if you like. It maybe another month before I get it back.

Oh, if you are interested, I have two extra wheel adapters that are useless to me, that came off of a newer No. 2 Cinn. grinder I'll send you for the cost of shipping and handling, just to get them out of my way. Just let me know.

Benny,

...........Based upon my Serial Number Reference Book for Machine Tools your machine is a, No. 2 Plain and Universal Cutter Sharpening Machine Model EM as signified by the 1D2T and was made in 1943 as signified by the M.

Thanks for the info. on the age. Seems to be in pretty good condition for it's age.

Benny

Super nice tools and supremely versatile.
Tooling up a grinder like this is EXPENSIVE but you have a nice selection of workheads, centers, and accessories so you're golden!

I started the path toward a T&C grinder by getting a KO Lee and misc. tooling from where ever I could so I already have some tooling. The Cincinnati grinder came with some centers and one of the air bearing thingy's for grinding cutter flutes. I already have a B&S grinder workhead with a set of #9B&S collets that I plan on adapting to it as show here:
Workhead - #9 B&S.jpg

I also have what I call a universal table as show here mounted on my mill cutting a compound slot in a fixture for grinding a tangential lathe cutting tool:
Universal Table.jpg

Right now the first thing I need to do is get a spindle drive belt for the Cincinnati grinder as the one on it is split and to get it running correctly. Charley had problems with it not reversing and then motor not running at all. I suspect wiring or switch issues. I first need to determine motor size and belt length.

I plan on coming up with a design for a driven cylindrical grinding setup at some point.

Hopefully your grinder project will warm up with spring coming!

Benny

- - - Updated - - -

Benny,

I have one that may fit the request. It's out on loan being scanned for posting to a website for free down loading. As soon as it's available or I get it back, I'll get with you and see about sending it to you if you like. It maybe another month before I get it back......................

Thanks for the manual offer I and looking forward to it's being available.

Benny,

Oh, if you are interested, I have two extra wheel adapters that are useless to me, that came off of a newer No. 2 Cinn. grinder I'll send you for the cost of shipping and handling, just to get them out of my way. Just let me know.

Thanks for your kind offer!

PM on the way.

Benny

Universal Table.jpg Workhead - #9 B&S.jpg

I bought a #2 last year that's a mid 50's model I believe. I wouldn't get too caught up on getting the exact manual for it as operating the machines didn't change much over the years. I got lucky with mine and picked up a few fixtures with it. Let me know if you have any questions that I could help with.

......... Let me know if you have any questions that I could help with.

Thanks for the help offer. I need to get a new endless belt and a VFD hooked up first. I am also thinking about mounting it on wheels so I can store it back against a wall when not being used.

Benny

No problem. I have to add that the #2 operators manual I got with mine goes into great detail on how to set up and grind cutters. My #2 is a mid 50's model and the manuals were printed in 43 so I wouldn't get hung up too much on finding the exact year. I have a couple broken gears on mine that I am fixing now.

No problem. I have to add that the #2 operators manual I got with mine goes into great detail on how to set up and grind cutters. My #2 is a mid 50's model and the manuals were printed in 43 so I wouldn't get hung up too much on finding the exact year. I have a couple broken gears on mine that I am fixing now.

Phil,
Thanks for the information. The two manuals that I have considerable information on how to use the machine also and I have the Norton grinding handbook. I was just a little concerned about the manual printed in England vs. the my machine built in the US. When you know as little about the subject as I do, you always can learn more and not know much. Sometime when I read instructions they may not sink in and then I read another description of the same topic written by someone else using words, just a little bit different, and it becomes perfectly clear.

Benny

Just let me know if I can help with anything. Good grinding.

Back