Cincinnati #2 Tool Grinder Wheel Adaptor Removal ?

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
I posted about getting a #2 Cincinnati tool grinder from another forum member (Charley Davidson) and asked for information.http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/20601-Cincinnati-2-Tool-and-Cutter-Grinder-Info-Wanted That led to contact with another forum member (4gsr) that had a couple of extra Cincinnati wheel adaptors that I made a deal for, I understand you can’t have too many. In the deal he threw in a bonus wheel adaptor removal tool. Photo of wheel adapters and puller below:
Cincinnati Wheel Adaptors & Bonus.jpg

While the puller was not for the supplied Cincinnati adaptors it was a great bonus extra as I have a Norton surface grinder that uses it and some no-name wheel adaptors for the Cincinnati that use it. The two following photos show wheels mounted on the Norton and the Cincinnati and both machines use threaded nuts on the spindle shaft and the adaptor hubs both have threads on the adaptor ID for removal:
Cincinnati:
Cincinnati Wheel Mount Method.jpg
Norton:
Norton Wheel Mount Method.jpg

In the conversations with 4gsr/Ken he commented about the fact that Cincinnati had never put the internal threads for adaptor removal on their machines.
4gsr said:
………... I never figured out why Cinn. never put the thread on their wheel adapters, I guess if you are brave, you could single point a short thread in them…………………
Ken

This got me to thinking about what the correct way to remove such a wheel. Looking at one of the adaptors (photo below) that I got from Ken it appears that someone “beat it off” several times:
Cincinnati Wheel Adaptor wt Smilies.jpg
It seems that this method would not be good for a precision grinder spindle. Does anyone have thoughts on how the correct way to remove a wheel adaptor without the threaded ID for a puller tool ? Thanks for any input on the correct way to do this as I have some of the thread less wheel adaptors.

With this new removal tool from Ken in my shop now, I can return the one Charley loaned me when I got the grinder from him. Some one had made a special with the threaded male piece that screws into the ID of the wheel adaptor and a hex socket that installs/removes the nut on the grinder spindle. The hex socket part should not be that hard to come up with. Photo of Charley's tool below:
Cincinnati & Norton Removal Tool.jpg

Ken, thanks again for the tools!

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Cincinnati Wheel Adaptors & Bonus.jpg Cincinnati Wheel Mount Method.jpg Norton Wheel Mount Method.jpg Cincinnati Wheel Adaptor wt Smilies.jpg Cincinnati & Norton Removal Tool.jpg

Most people will tap the back of the adapter like you see evidence of there. Its just needs a sharp tap to break free and since its the easy way out and the machines aren't theirs usually that's how its done. The way I do it is use a wrench like the one in the link, you slide between the rear of the arbor and the face of the machine. Push on the wrench, it rocks on the two posts and the lever action pops the adapter off. This works on just about every grinder I have ran except one and it had a lever wrench that was made to to the same thing. If you do have to rap it use brass for sure.

http://www.amazon.com/SOPKO-COMBINATION-SPANNER-SOCKET-WRENCH/dp/B00DHMCV78

Phils69,
Thanks for the tips. As noted below Charley did include the wrench you noted in your link however on the machine I have it will not go in between the wheel adapter and the face of the spindle housing. A different lever wrench like you describe would be a simple tool to make to save the bearings in the spindle. I like that idea to reduce hitting the wheel adapter very hard.

I thought I gave you one of those wrenches, I didn't know they were used for that though.
Yes you did. It appears to be the same exact one Phils69 linked to. The socket end fits the 11/16 hex nut on the ½-13 inch spindle thread and the pins fit the lock nut holding the wheel to the adapter. It does not seem to work as a lever wrench to pry the adapter off the spindle as it did on some machines for Phils69.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Back