Cincinnati Horizontal Mill 18" looking for info

Chopdog

Registered
Registered
Looking for information on an old Mill. It's for sale locally here and the owners don't know much background on it. Purchased decades ago. It works and just isn't used much anymore.

18" Cincinnati milling machine. The 3 phase motor was added later. Flat belt drive converted to electric.

Can't find information on the machine model, year of manufacture, etc.

IMG_20210416_104015950.jpgIMG_20210416_104005096.jpgIMG_20210416_103946184.jpgIMG_20210416_103924525.jpgIMG_20210416_103951552.jpg

Serial number? A manufacturing milling machine was meant for production work, likely less handy for general job shop work. Likely has much less table travel than a standard milling machine and speed and feed changes are more involved than on the standard machines.

Hey Chopdog,

I see that you joined two years ago, but this is your first post.....Welcome to the group!

That is one beautiful old mill.

You don't see many of the older-generation with the round over-arm, Cincinnati changed to the dovetail overarm.

I own a 1916 Cincinnati 3S horizontal mill and got the vertical head too. Pictures here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/gallery/albums/my-1916-cincinnati-3s-milling-machine.364/

When I was looking for info I contacted Cincinnati thru their web site support link.
They advised me to find the serial number on the front face of the Z-axis between the dovetails, just below the horizontal spindle.

With that they could look-up the machine and give me the manufacture date, weight, oil type, etc.
Mine was tool old to have any manuals available, they didn't think any were ever made back then.

I have never seen one quite like this one.
Very cool!

-brino

I could not find anything on the vintage machinery website.

Looks like the X (long) axis is by rack and pinion instead of a crank at the end of the table, like a Bridgeport. Not sure if I could get used to that..
Looks heavily built though
-Mark

Back