Cincinnati Lathe Identification And Preparation

chubbyjp77

Registered
Registered
image.jpeg I just purchased a "new" lathe and could use a bit of help with it. I'm not sure of its model and I'm trying to acquire an operator/service manual without dropping a ton of coin. It fits my bill for vintage but if it's not appropriately place let me know and I'll start a different thread or the mods can move this one.

Anyway it's a Cincinnati Lathe and Tool machine that's pre tray top model. I could find no numbers on it yet but it could use a good cleaning as it sat idle for several years. I plan to put it back into service and could use help and advice on the ID and service of the old beast. I did purchase a Cincinnati brochure off eBay but it doesn't really identify anything. I have some oil on the way so I can change that before it sees power but I'll take any advice I can get at this point. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Last edited:
Sorry I am not of any help with your questions, just wanted to say that looks like a nice old lathe...

Nice Lathe, stout and well made
Looks like its just begging to be put into service.
Cheers
Martin

Nice looking machine. Maybe it's the pic, but it seems really close to ground. Could weld up a pan out of some 3/16" plate and flat stock, and incorporate some risers into both ends to get it to a comfortable working height. People were generally shorter when that one was produced. I'm betting you'll really enjoy operating the old girl. Mike

Looks much heavier and beefier than the it's predecessor, the try top lathe.

image.jpeg It's not as low as it looks in the picture. I'm 6'1" and it is at a pretty comfortable height. It could be a bit taller for me but it's tolerable. I did get a chance to look it over and found the number 3053 stamped into the top of the bed at the tail stock end. I still have no idea of the year but the patent date on the taper attachment says 1929. I'm gonna pull the top off the headstock, inspect everything, and change the oil if everything is looking good. I'll get the apron and the QC gear box while I'm at it. Needs a good cleaning and some paint and it'll look like new. Here's a few pictures. I love the fact that they used an etched tag instead of stickers on everything.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I wasn't ignoring you. Swing on it is 16". It's 48" between centers with the tailstock flush. Lathes not at my house and I finally remembered to measure it. Last time I was at the shop I pulled the smoked motor off the mill.
I threw power to it quick and she runs, although backwards. And I was doing really good guessing the wiring on 3 phase motors lately. At least it's easy to switch the wires on.

Nice looking lathe there!!
With three phase just swap any two of the feed wires and it'll reverse direction.

I'll end up switching L1 and L2 around but I didn't permanently wire the machine yet. It's ran off a 30 hp rotary phase converter and I always try to keep the manufactured led on the right (& marked with orange tape too). That helps keep me from wiring a transformer or the like to it. I'm going to see if I can get a 30 amp disconnect switch from work along with a decent piece of 10/4 SOOW. I'd like to drop the line from the ceiling but it's not very practical. I need to hang a light or two over the new equipment also. I didn't get to work at it like I wanted to but I guess it's not going anywhere.

I did get to tear into my Bridgeport motor though. It's spent, not that I'm surprised. It was ran off a static converter and two of the phases are done. That smell of failure never leaves the motor until it's rebuilt. Anyone know a good motor shop in central PA? I'm getting a quote on a rebuild from Motor Tech but it'll be expensive I'm betting. Did find a new stator for under $400 and may just go that route.

Back