Cincinnati Lathe Identification And Preparation

Last edited:
Will do. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. Toward the end of the week the wife and kids are going on vacation so I should be able to get more shop time in then. Looking for paint for it right now so I can get that on order.

I did get to clean up the guards a bit today. 2 cans of oven cleaner to get the grease off with the use of a pressure washer. The chain guard needs welded and I hope to get that done tomorrow.

Thanks again for the interest, advice, & encouragement.

Well since I was last just going to change the oil in the headstock, plans changed a bit. I needed to weld the chain guard so I removed it to do so. Upon removal I noticed 2 broken tabs on the mating piece so I might as well fix that too. To get that piece off I had to pull the clutch, no problem. Got that all taken care of so back to the oil change in the headstock. I'm sure everyone here knows what kind of mess is left behind from older generation oils. Decides I better hose that out with brake cleaner. Started hosing it out and realized how much sludge there was. I decided to pull a shaft so I could wipe things out good. It was the only way my hand would fit. Hand still wouldn't fit to my liking and all the crap in the headstock was annoying me so I'll pull the second one. There was only one shaft left and I wanted to replace both seals so I figured I went this far what's one more. I took that out and removed the gears on the end to do so. While I was at it I figured I might as well pull the castings of the base and clean them in the caustic tank at work since that would be easy. Once all the castings were removed I saw piles of swarf in the base. Pulled the motor to clean out that. Any way you get the idea. I'm down to a bear bed that's gonna get pressure washed and prepped for paint and a headstock casting that's sitting on wood blocks on the floor.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yup, sometimes it's like pulling one small thread on a sweater and unwinding the entire thing.

Rest assured you will:
  1. know the job was done right and that no other gremlins lurk within just waiting for power-up
  2. know that lathe inside and out
In the long run you'll have a machine that should run for many years with only minor cleaning and maintenance(oil changes).

What kind/colour of paint are you using?

Thanks for the update and pictures!
-brino

I was looking at using Valspar Industrial alkyd enamel in dark gray. It could end up being a PPG paint if my paint tech figures something out. Lots of cleaning before it sees paint.

I think it's offical, the wife hates my new machines, LOL. I have everything but the carriage and QCGB torn apart. I'm running out of room to lay parts out neatly so I'll get to them once the headstock and bed are painted and reassembled. Base is now separated from the bed and received a good bath with purple power so it wouldn't be so oily when I go to clean it up for paint. No new photos but I'm going to throw together a parts list for the bearings, races, & seals. Since I can't find info on this thing maybe it'll help someone else out. Drive plates and chuck plates look like they'll be machined in house at this rate. Hopefully my foundry furnace will be up for iron casting.

I'm running out of room to lay parts out neatly

Don't forget, there is always the kitchen table and counter-tops!
That should distract your wife from hating "the machines".;)

Please do post what you learn about the headstock parts. Someone else will need it!

-brino

There are a few things I have learned not to do. One of the is put parts on the kitchen counter. It hinders the making of supper (which I'm fond of eating) and I'll stay out of the kitchen if you stay out of my shop. A muzzleloader barrel drying in the oven is pushing my luck. The fact that I caught moms oven on fire heating a ring gear for a differential doesn't help any either. That's a long story for another time.

Primer showed up today and the paint is backordered. I think MSC is shipping the paint out of GA today so it'll be here before I'm ready for it. Primer is Valspar Industial Anti-Rust in Gray. Paint is Valspar Industrial Enamel in Dark Gray. My paint tech couldn't help me out on this one and I wasn't about to pay $350 for an Epoxy paint. We'll see how it holds up, hope this isn't a case of buyers remorse.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's a few of the cleaned parts about ready for paint. Soaked in the caustic tank and a quick sandblasting. Cleaned up without much labor involved.

Back