Cincinnati Lathe

HalcyonDaze

Registered
Registered
There is very little information on the internet about this lathe that I purchased this weekend. I haven't found a serial or model number under the rust yet, it's about a 16". I believe it can be brought back, the spindle seems good and smooth although the compound and cross feeds are seized. Time to soak it in penetrating oil and start nudging things.

30rxrpx.jpg

11b3clj.jpg

5ydoom.jpg

Oh Yeah, Patience is the key here....but it sounds like you know that ...That is a fine watchmakers lathe...but seriously,I hope you will post your progress as you tear into it. Looks like you have the important accesories for it , they'd most likely be hard to find! If that lathe could talk I bet there are stories galore !!
Best luck and regards

Good for you, what a find, that is a nice lathe and you sure got a look of extra's when I was younger an old fellow had got some lathes out a shop that had fallen in on them, five lathes, the biggest was an American, he got them out of the trees and took him to his shop and he told me time froze and time will un freeze, went to help him get them on the trailer each one, he got penetrating oil and a small brass hammer and in a couple of years had them working fine and painted and sold them for a very good price for him, you have a diamond in the rough, good for you.

Nice find. I bet she cleans up real nice. Would be just the ticket for driveshaft work. Mike

I was amazed at what soaking in Evaprorust will do for rusted together parts. Kinda expensive but very effective. Great to see an old piece of iron put back to use making things.
Tim

Right in front of the QCGB there's some kind of little gear box that I can't figure out how it works. The shaft coming out of the gearbox has worn entirely thru the bushing and things don't line up and the round knob is jammed up. Honestly, I haven't done much of anything. It was terribly neglected and suffered a hard crash when it was in the textile mill (one of the tool post lugs on the compound was broken out). There is other evidence of hard, neglectful use- probably by non-machinist type playing on it.

I'll dig into it deeper when I've got time, but it might become yard art.

Back