Cincinnati radial arm drill

I had this exact machine,Ex WW2 surplus ,mine came direct from the air force here (RAAF).....Its actually a Cincinnatti Gilbert ,the company is/was still in business ,and still had spares .....IMHO ,a good point was the speed range up to 1500rpm approx .....most radials are 500 or 600 revs for bigger drills.......The spindle is reversable ,but make sure the drive motor is running the correct rotation,or the stops on the elevation wont work ,and something may break......it will certainly jam up.(as I found out)
I will pass this on to the new owner , I sold it last week.

Bones

I have the same one. It’s a MT4 taper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had one just like it, 4 ft arm 9" column, it had done a lot of work in it's lifetime, still running somewhere else --- that machine is a Cincinnati Bickford, not Gilbert. I replaced mine with a 6 ft arm American radial drill, a much more capable machine.

Yes ,correct....for some reason I always get the two mixed up.....Bickford are still in business ,and ,I think,can still supply parts .......Incidentally ,the nicest small radial I ever saw was a Gilbert,brand new ,still packed in grease ,at the army auctions in the 70s.....I wanted it real bad,but was outbid by a doctor ,of all people ,and he must have paid four times what I would have liked......I also recall other brand new,packed in grease WW2 machines coming thru the army auctions ....milling machines ,capstan lathes,jig borers,all with tons of new accessories and tooling.

Back