Cincy #2 Tool And Cutter Grinder

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I see some great threads on here about folks making awsome T&C grinders. I've taken another route (perhaps a longer one) - picked up a "Hippo" - quite a chunk of iron and needs a fair amount of floor space. It is a bit thin on collets, arbors and wheels. So that means yet another machine to be making little pieces for and trolling e-bay (and other sources) for the various bits and pieces. If the truth be told, getting machines up to snuff is actually what my hobby is - I rarely actually make something that leaves the building!

DSC08441.JPG DSC08436.JPG DSC08437.JPG DSCF6090.JPG

Nice find!
That will become an extremely useful tool.
-brino

I've never so much as turned a machine like this on. I have not even gotten to the learning curve. However, the learning curve after getting the milling machine has provided plenty of opportunity material for the T&C grinder.

Hi that is a nice grinder ! Hope you are nowhere near the bush fires

This is mine ...like you, I am without tooling

box3.jpg

I can relate to that. Hoping to get past that stage at some point, but at the rate I keep acquiring machines it's hard to say. I guess the important thing is that we have fun along the way. Nice machine, and it looks like you have quite a few of the major pieces. Mike

If the truth be told, getting machines up to snuff is actually what my hobby is - I rarely actually make something that leaves the building!

Any one have pointers on lubrication of the spindle? The machine has seen little use in the last 15 years, and none in the last 5 (keep indoors in a nice heated shop). The spindle turns freely, but sounds like it could use some lube. The manual states "Absence of oiling devices on the wheelhead indicates that the Anti-Friction Spindle Bearings are grease packed and lubricated for life, and requires no attention. Do not attempt to add oiling devices to grease packed spindles."

I get it, that when smoke starts coming out of the spindle and it won't go around any more - that would be the end of its life! I'd like to do what I can to extend that life.

I don't know for sure which spindle I have. There is a nice large brass plate on the wheel head - in Swedish (doesn't do me any good). Perhaps there is someone out there that could translate it for me?

If someone could identify which wheel head I've got and any lube info, that would be great.

DSCF6097.JPG DSCF6098.JPG DSCF6099.JPG DSCF6100.JPG

Probably the best thing to do is turn the machine on and listen for rumbling or dry noises in the head bearings . That appears to be the same head that I have ... I really don't know if there are bronze or roller bearings in there. Maybe they used ball bearings , if so they would need to be repacked with bearing grease.

Why don't you remove the end covers and have a look ?

That's a belt drive head on your grinder. It is one of the newer designed heads with anti-friction bearing spindle. The bearings are greased for life! If you get the urge to pull the end caps, you will contaminate the bearings with grinding dust. Provided it has not already been contaminated with grinding dust from a air gun being used to clean the grinder. If you decide to pull the end caps, wash down the head with soap and water. Don't use a pressure washer! Do what I do, get some of them spray bottles from the big box stores over in the paint/cleaning department. Mix 50/50 purple solution in one bottle and 100% rinse water in the other. spray on the cleaning solution, brush it with a small paint brush, then rinse with the water. When dry, pull the covers. If you decide to re-grease the bearing, use a Lubriplate grade of grease for high speed bearings. A little dab of grease will go a long ways! Don't over grease the bearings! If the bearings get warm or hot, you put too much grease in them. Remember, not knowing what grease are in the bearings now, could be detrimental later by mixing grease types together.

Honest and truly, I wouldn't open those end caps at all, and definitely not re-grease the bearings. Run the grinder for a while until you can determine if the spindle is a problem. That being a belt drive, you gonna have funny noises that don't sound normal for a grinder. But if the bearings are bad, you will get a horrible whining noise from the spindle. And you should feel it by rotating the spindle by hand. You may have to do some grinding to see what kind of finishes you get. Even then, it's sometimes hard to determine if the bearings are bad. Ken

Edit: B.T.W. Remove the four screws holding the name plate off the housing. That should expose the flat belt that runs the spindle. Oh, the tooling you have there is worth more than the grinder itself is worth! Especially the gun drill sharpening jig you have there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one have pointers on lubrication of the spindle? The machine has seen little use in the last 15 years, and none in the last 5 (keep indoors in a nice heated shop). The spindle turns freely, but sounds like it could use some lube. The manual states "Absence of oiling devices on the wheelhead indicates that the Anti-Friction Spindle Bearings are grease packed and lubricated for life, and requires no attention. Do not attempt to add oiling devices to grease packed spindles."

I get it, that when smoke starts coming out of the spindle and it won't go around any more - that would be the end of its life! I'd like to do what I can to extend that life.

I don't know for sure which spindle I have. There is a nice large brass plate on the wheel head - in Swedish (doesn't do me any good). Perhaps there is someone out there that could translate it for me?

If someone could identify which wheel head I've got and any lube info, that would be great.

View attachment 128950View attachment 128951View attachment 128952View attachment 128953
If it was a spindle requiring lube, there would be a couple of oil cups on the side of the spindle

Back