Cincy Precision Indicator?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Wondering if anyone on HM has extra parts they'd like to sell, or perhaps take pics and measurements of a Cincy Precision Indicator. I'm particularly interested in the Y axis. I found surplus framework for the factory issue Y axis indicator. But, most of the pieces are missing. Note the pics below. Alternatively, bracket specs for a Y axis "silver bullet" Trav-a-Dial. I'm already using a vintage Trav-a-Dial on the X axis.

Yes, I know a DRO would be more accurate.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Cincy Prec Indic.png

Wondering if anyone on HM has extra parts they'd like to sell, or perhaps take pics and measurements of a Cincy Precision Indicator. I'm particularly interested in the Y axis. I found surplus framework for the factory issue Y axis indicator. But, most of the pieces are missing. Note the pics below. Alternatively, bracket specs for a Y axis "silver bullet" Trav-a-Dial. I'm already using a vintage Trav-a-Dial on the X axis.

Yes, I know a DRO would be more accurate.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Hi Daryl,

I don't think you're going to find that setup very useful for general milling. They're intended for precision location and are every bit as accurate as a good DRO, but a lot more time consuming to use. Each axis has an indicator and protective case, a tray and a fixed stop. For the X-axis, the indicator and tray mount along the front of the table and fixed stop attaches to the saddle. The tray holds end-measuring rods and a special inside micrometer. The system in the picture appears to use a Starrett end-measure set like this one:
IMG_1919.jpg

The micrometers have a range of about 3.5 to 4.5". In use, you pick out the right rods to get you to the nearest inch, then set the micrometer to the fractional part. The indicator is just there as a zero reference. Once you've got the rods and micrometer setup, you crank the axis over until the fixed stop pushes against the rod stack and brings the indicator to zero. On a good machine in a temperature-controlled room you can locate holes to tenths. However, it takes a fair amount of time to set up each axis for each hole.

What pieces of the system did you get?

Cal

IMG_1919.jpg

Powerful response, thank you! With very helpful information.
Sounds like a Y axis trav-a-dial is a better option.

Have not yet purchased it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301018805850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Had not yet decided if I should purchase.
Based on your post I'm less convinced it's a good choice.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Hi Daryl,

I don't think you're going to find that setup very useful for general milling. They're intended for precision location and are every bit as accurate as a good DRO, but a lot more time consuming to use. Each axis has an indicator and protective case, a tray and a fixed stop. For the X-axis, the indicator and tray mount along the front of the table and fixed stop attaches to the saddle. The tray holds end-measuring rods and a special inside micrometer. The system in the picture appears to use a Starrett end-measure set like this one:
View attachment 64787

The micrometers have a range of about 3.5 to 4.5". In use, you pick out the right rods to get you to the nearest inch, then set the micrometer to the fractional part. The indicator is just there as a zero reference. Once you've got the rods and micrometer setup, you crank the axis over until the fixed stop pushes against the rod stack and brings the indicator to zero. On a good machine in a temperature-controlled room you can locate holes to tenths. However, it takes a fair amount of time to set up each axis for each hole.

What pieces of the system did you get?

Cal

I think I'm going to bid on it.
Merely because it is old school.

Daryl
MN

$25? why not. if anything it will be fun to monkey with for a bit. Are restoring or using? if youre using the mill I would think about a dro. Once I get power to the shop... my next buy is a dro for the lathek and mill, and maybe the other mill.
Egad thats alot of cash.

Back