Citrus Spatchcock Turkey ala Antoiné

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Today on Cooking with Ulma Doctor..... (or should i say Antoiné :grin:)
I have gone completely out of the box and prepared a Citrus Spatchcock Turkey ala Antoiné today for our Easter dinner.
I'm not even qualified to cook for the Queen like @savarin is, but i try every once and awhile.

For the uninitiated, spatchcock is the process of cooking a turkey, fowl or other avian with the backbone removed, so the bird lays flat for cooking on the grill.
Antoiné, is my comical alter-ego while cooking- i often channel his divine guidance while pondering flavor and spice unions :grin big:
today was no different.
from the air, i pulled the spice combination i would use....
juice of lemons, limes, and tangerines
thyme, basil, oregano , sage and rosemary
both fresh and granulated garlic, pink himalayan salt, and coarse black pepper
White wine and olive oil

the turkey was placed on the cutting board breast down, i used a 10" chef's knife to separate the spine from the bird

the bird was seasoned by drizzling the combined citrus juices, wine, and granulated garlic to wet the bird.
then dry seasonings were applied one at a time, they adhere immediately to the wet bird.
i let the very cold bird (29°F) set in open air for 2 hours to absorb the flavors and warm up a bit

IMG_4671.jpg

citrus rounds were added to the bird

IMG_4672.jpg

Traditionally, spatchcock is grilled.
i bucked tradition, i chose to slow roast at 325°F for 3 hours !

IMG_4673.jpg

3Tbsp of pan grease was reserved for the gravy to be outlined below

Gravy:
the gizzard, neck, heart, and spine were sautéed in a few drops of olive oil until nearly blackened and removed form the saucepan
coarsely chopped carrots, onion, and celery were sautéed until nearly blackened
the giblets, neck and spine were returned to the saucepan
the saucepan was deglazed with 1/2c of white wine -the aromatics of this process is amazing :drool:

after deglazing, i added 32oz of prepared chicken stock and left the saucepan at a low rolling boil for 1-1/2 hours
the stock was strained through a colander, allowing larger bits of goodness to get into the gravy base
the gravy base was set aside (about 3 cups were rendered)

3 Tbsp of butter was melted in the saucepan
4Tbsp of all purpose flour was added to make the rouge (edit:roux)
the roux is cooked at medium heat until it develops a deep brown color
the gravy base is very slowly added to the saucepan by whisking
about 3 or 4 tablespoons of turkey grease from the cooked bird is added to the saucepan
add 1/4 cup white wine to saucepan
bring saucepan to low boil on medium low heat
salt, pepper to taste
Yum!

The turkey turned out amazing!!!!
deep color on the outside, moist goodness in the middle!!

If you have not tried this, you might wanna try ;)

Last edited:
That looks and sounds amazing Doc!
I just finished dinner and my mouth is watering!

Delicious,

Our humble Easter repast was just the traditional corned beef with cabbage.

Your bird looks fabulous and I'm sure tastes even better:drool:

John

Sounds damn fine to me and very professional. All those seasonings and flavours work well together, yummy.
It was definitely a professional job, you "deglazed the pan.
1 point (sorry, I have to) rouge is french for red, roux is what you were making.
3 types, white for bechamel or white sauce where the flour is just cooked in the butter but no colour.
Blonde where its cooked a bit more till the flour turns to a sandy texture but no colour, use with fish or chicken stock for their respective sauces.
Brown, used for meat gravys where its cooked to get a bit of colour.
Thus endeth todays cooking theory lesson.
:laughing:

Can I order take out Doc? Tonight I made myself a 1/2lb burger, with sauteed mushrooms, and sweet onions, and a slice of Gouda melted on a whole wheat bun, along with small golden potatoes cut in half , basted in butter, and sprinkled with rosemary, oregano, that same pink Himalayan salt, and black ground pepper, cooked in the toaster oven at 400deg until browned and soft inside. Made a batch of my everythng, including the kichen sink brownies, and had one with chocolate fudge frozen yogurt for desert. It was all pretty good, but I'm also happy with pb&j. Cheers, Mike

I had it all covered . Worked Saturday night 12 hrs where I had Lasagna and got off at 7am . Came home to 2 slices of pizza and 2 McDonalds bacon egg and cheeses . Woke up at 5 and had Mission Barbecue that the family bought . Went back to sleep and just now woke up . I ate and slept more in the past 24 hours than I do in a normal WEEK ! o_O

Is there no end to your multifaceted talents? Here it was a boned out leg of lamb, gravy, green beans with shallots and mashed potato. Looks like several days of leftovers.

Mike,
That sounds and looks fantastic. I've been brining and spatchcocking turkeys for about 6 years. I'm still amazed how quickly they cook--about 1:20 for a 14 lb bird, and the white meat is as moist as the dark meat. Oh yeah, and the gravy rocks.

Darn, now I'm hungry!
Evan

Back