Civil war era firearms

Peacons

Registered
Registered
Anyone have a link to or have drawings of Civil War era firearms?
Interested in reproducing pistols or rifle?
The Gibbs carbine looks particularly interesting.

I made a replica(sort of) Starr carbine some years ago.......those days ,no dimensions,just a couple of pictures in books ,and worked the dimensions from the lockplate ,which I had,and the cartridge....which I didnt have......anyway ,the replica was good enough to demonstrate why the Starr didnt make it as a cartridge gun.

Saw this thread and had to take a look.
I was involved in Civil War re-enacting for a while.
I was a 42nd. Virginia Volunteer, Company K. Mustered out in April 1861 at Rocky Mount, in Franklin County, Va.
I of course had an Enfield .577.
Those Union Berdan’s had those beautiful Sharp’s rifles.
Breach loaders they were, state of the art.

For more info see my other thread where I decided to replicate a Burnside. (Burnside carbine build)

For more info see my other thread where I decided to replicate a Burnside. (Burnside carbine build)
I'll check it out.
I'm reading "Grant", by Ron Chernow. It is outstanding!!!!

I might have a go at building a Ballard....definitely the most interesting and probably advanced of all the civil war breechloaders....One big plus for a builder is no lockplate is needed ,the whole firing mechanism ,is in the breechblock................I think making the reciever in two halves and welding together on the centreline would make the project eminently doable.....The original block was also in two halves ,to simplify machining .

Back