Cl Cin Find

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Hi All,

Going down to look at a Cin Toolmaster after work today. Not sure what sort of shape it's in, looks a bit rough but servicable. Hopefully it's powered, so I can hear it run & check it over better. Wish I had a DI, base, and other goodies with me. If I understand correctly, most Cin Toolmasters use a 40 taper. Is that correct? Are collets hard to come by?

I'll know more this evening. At any rate, i'm going to hit the bank to have cash in hand as a downpayment, in case it pans out. So far, i've had great luck in 2016 with tools and tooling. A nice big vertical mill is the last machine i need (for now).

I don't know much about Cincinnati Toolmasters, but 40 taper tooling is quite common. There are several flavors of 40 taper tooling, but they can usually be adapted to work, sometimes a different drawbar will be needed. Lots of CNC machines use 40 taper. The 40 taper tooling costs more than R8 tooling, but there are deals to be found on used tooling.

Mine is a 1B.
I prefer it to the Bridgeys I've run. But, don't want to start any fights.
No nodding head available.
Some take the taper. Mine takes the Cincy proprietary collet.
Plenty available used. More expensive than the imported R8s.
Before I could turn mine on I needed to make parts. They are difficult to find.
Depending on what they want for her, I wouldn't mind picking up a powerfeed, extra motor etc.
If you have additional, or specific questions, please let me know.
Olcopper picked up a 1E. Should be a sweet machine.
I've not touched a 1D, but have touched seen many ads for them.
I've read about complaints for the French made Toolmasters. They'd be the newer models.

Daryl
MN

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay, been busier than a 1 armed paper hanger in a hurricane.

I went down and saw the machine under power. It's a little noisy, but nothing that indicated a death rattle or expensive repairs. The ways were a bit worn, but still snug and everything operated smoothly.

The X feed could probably use an oil change in it's gearbox, but it runs smoothly and has no issues other than a missing stop on the table. Easy enough to make a new one. The machine has a 10x42 table, which is plenty big enough for anything I'm planning in the next few years. Power feed on the X axis, and the quill has power up/downfeed. The machine itself is 2hp, 3ph, 240V. I'll need to buy a VFD and get help from this forum to get it wired up and running once it's in place and I have a 240V drop for it.

Yep, I'm purchasing it. Going down this Thursday, taking a little extra time off work, to have the seller load it on a trailer and I'll baby it home. The auto breaker across the main road agreed to unload it for me, and in my mind, him using that big honkin' loader he uses to stack junk cars to get it off the trailer is well worth the $45 it'll cost me for probably 20 minutes of work on his part.

It'll take a month or two for me to get it running. I need to clear out a space, get it home and in that space, then get a 240V drop run, and a VFD set up before I can do anything with it. It isn't a made-in-france model, as it's clearly well rounded and bulbous about the head and spindle housing. Unfortunately, pictures will have to wait until I get it home. The seller already pulled the ad, and because time was rather tight when I checked it out, I neglected to snap pics of it.

This week promises to be insanely busy. I'm helping my brother move stuff to his new house every night this week except Thursday. I'll have company overnight on Wednesday, and Thursday, despite being off work at 2pm, I'll have a crammed-full evening. Add to that the need to clear out a space to put the mill, plus the mundane tasks of eating, sleeping, dishes, laundry, bathing, eating, and cleaning..... Yeah. Tons and tons to get done. Next weekend, on Sunday, I'm just gonna get up whenever the heck I feel like it, pour myself a Vodka and Orange Juice Breakfast Cocktail, plaster myself into an Adirondack chair by the fire pit, and watch some scrap wood burn. Possibly most of the day. I'll deserve it. :)

Rest assured, I'm placing safety over expense in moving this machine. I've already decided, if it wants to fall over, it can fall over, and I'll pick up the pieces. $45 is a hit for not much work on the breaker's part, but it's safer than trying to use the engine hoist. Pipe rollers and a pig bar will let me move it around, and the hoist will help me get it over the slight (1/2") step into the garage.

More to come as things work themselves out, but remember, I'll be busy as heck. And one happy, lucky SOB.

Nice going Ogberi if you need help or the use of a 16' trailer let me know I think I owe you one.Rick

Well, the mill is now sitting on the ground, smack in the middle of my driveway. :)
20160311_071434.jpg

From what I have gathered, it's a 1D model. Not sure how much it actually weighs, but it's a lot. This evening, when I eventually get home, I'll clear out a temporary space for it in the garage and work on getting it inside. I may have to remove the ram and head to get enough clearance to the garage door for the engine hoist to be able to be used.

It's worth noting that the X feed motor is 110v 3 phase. I haven't pulled the electrical cover, but I would surmise that a stepdown transformer off the incoming 240v 3ph mains provides that power. So, I need to decide if I want to use a single RPC to run the whole machine, or invest in two VFD's (one for the spindle, the other for X axis power feed).

An RPC would simplify things, as it would just have to be sized to run the whole machine. Not sure how a transformer would like the output, though. Two VFD's is more expensive, but since the head is already variable speed, and the X axis motor has 9 speed settings, they would probably both be run at their rated speed.

At any rate, my first task is to get the thing into the garage. After that, I'll figure out what to do next.

So, last night i got home around 8:45, changed clothes and proceeded to see if my horrible freight hoist could budge that mill. The definitive answer is a resounding "hell no!" i get the not so subtle feeling that thing weighs at or more than a ton. The 4500 lb rated forklift it was loaded with grunted pretty good when he picked it up, and the hoist was loaded more than i liked, even with the front corners of the mill still on the ground.

So, I stepped back, re-evaluated, and decided to divide and conquer. I made careful notes of the wiring, tagged the wires, then removed the head from the ram and got that safely in the garage. By then, it was 3:30 am, and i was beat. So I put my things away and called it a night. Morning? Whatever. :)

Today, i'm helping my brother and sister in law move (the joys of owning a pickup truck!), and once that's done i'll slide back home and work on removing the knee. That should lighten it enough so the hoist can comfortably handle the base. The fun will be reassembling it in the garage with limited head room.

Back