Cl Cin Find

Hi All,

Been awhile, been busy with Life, and a chronic shortage of money has kept me from doing anything much with this machine.

Good news is that my finances are loosening up a bit, and I should be able to get it running in the next month or so. Yeah, it's sat where it sits since I got it in place in March. I've decided to go with an RPC for the machine. VFD's would be nice, but I wouldn't use most of the features on them. The spindle speed is infinitely adjustable with a hand crank, has Hi-Lo, and is reversible with the switch on the mill. The X axis power feed has 9 speeds, which should be enough. I think the only thing it lacks is a rapid, but that's no big deal.

I know the mill has a 2hp spindle, but the plate for the X axis power feed motor is missing. Can another owner let me know what the specs on it are? 1hp? Fractional hp? Since the mill was running when I picked it up, I have no worries about that, and I have diagrams of the wiring, I'm not concerned about hooking it up wrong (6 wires to connect), but I do worry about getting too small of an RPC. Don't want to waste money on too large of one, either. I'm looking at either a 3hp or 5hp RPC, leaning towards the 5 in case I get more 3 phase equipment.

Thanks!

Well, life just got a whole lot busier.

But, busy in a good way.. The parts for my Harley should show up late next week or beginning of the week after.. I have to take a look at a pressure washer, figure out if the pump is shot or what, there's always domestics to be done around the house, and now I have to plan & run electric over by the mill for the shiny new RPC that my GF told me to buy. I feel a bit like a heel, for spending a lot of $$$ in such a short time, but she insisted. I knew she was a keeper before, but that she actually encourages my hobby?!

My next major purchase is that full set of ceramic kitchen knives I know she's been eyeballing.

I have a Cinci 1D (see my posts in the Cinci section). I found a manual some place on line. I can send you a copy. I have the same power requirements as you, I run my shop off a 5hp RPC. You are correct an RPC is the way to go if you have multiple machine (I have 7 on the RPC and one on a VFD). The power set up with an RPC is just so easy (after the first machine). I had the Toolmaster running about 15 minutes after it was in place (took me about a year to get around to cleaning it and getting it over to where I wanted it, but that is a nother story). I can send you a picture of the table motor nameplate.

VFD? I cannot really see the benefit, when you already have a Reeves drive (well, then you could go very slow!). I have one VFD machine, and it works fine. The RPC machines work fine too.

I really enjoy using the Toolmaster. The only other mill I have used is the small Maho mill, and it is much different. They are both milling machines, but they cannot really be compared. They are both capable machines that are a joy to operate. There are plenty of well made milling machines out there - the Toolmaster certainly qualifies as one of them.

Good luck on getting everything sorted out in your shop and with that machine. For any questions you have myself and other folks here will do their best to answer them.

Take care, David

Table motor pictures. Hopefully the image quality is okay. Send me your e-mail and I can provide jped images, which may zoom in better.

DSCF7081.JPG

DSCF7082.JPG

DSCF7083.JPG

DSCF7084.JPG

Hi All,

As expected, it's been busy as heck. But!

The shiny new TEMCo 3kW RPC arrived safe & sound. It's a beefy little thing, and looks simple as heck to hook up. All the rest of the Harley parts arrived at the same time, so other than a quick look-over, the RPC is sitting on the floor by the mill. Been putting my bike back together. :)

Good news is that I have what I need to run the electric outlets for the mill and some extra 120v outlets for other stuff. Hopefully I won't have any issues getting the wires run and everything hooked up. Getting a little bit closer to making chips!

It Lives!

Over the weekend, I got the electrical run. I hooked up the RPC and checked it, and everything looks good there. Today, I wired up the mill and fired it up since the first time I got it. Some things to fix (which I knew going in), but it does what it's supposed to. The variable speed head is causing me a little grief, but it works fine in low range. Grabbed a 1/2" carbide endmill and hogged a 1/2" deep, 3/8" wide cut in aluminum. The mill didn't even notice. It's a world of difference between the 300lb Atlas, my friend's 2000 lb Wells Index, and this *thing.*

Still some stuff to fix on it. The downfeed simply freewheels, and the power downfeed spins the handle, but doesn't feed. The X axis power feed doesn't feed in the highest range, and I need to adjust the Hi-Lo shifter for the head (it grinds the gear in high speed unless you hold the lever upwards).

Minor things, mostly pull things apart, clean, check, re-assemble, and that'll keep me busy for a bit.

But the major thing is that it's got power, it works, and I can machine on it.

Whoooboy can I machine on it. That thing spins a 1" endmill and eats aluminum like cotton candy.

What I can tell you is that I do *NOT* like moving that big 'ole vice around. Thing weighs an appreciable portion of what I do, and I ain't throwing my back out for a vice.

So in short, *WOOHOO!* I'm gonna go turn some scrap into smaller scrap and chips!

ogberi & Chipper5783,
Good work. Another Cincy save!!
I've been quietly watching your progress.

Should the pf (powerfeed) ever die (motor, gears strip, whatever) etc and you "upgrade" to a servo. Then please let me know.
My Cincy is only a 1hp 1B not big and all fancy like yours and olcopper, regardless, I've been looking for an OEM pf for several years.
Please note I'm not suggesting that you do an "upgrade". As I'm not sure that it will really be an upgrade. Merely if you do, then I'll buy your old pf.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Good job ogberi - keep the updates coming. Please post pictures when you get your first real project done.

The downfeed free wheels? Do you mean the drill press style handle on the right side of the head? Mine has an engage / disengage feature - I have to loosen a locking screw ("thumb screw") then bump it left (or right, I'm not sure which) and in about a 1/4 turn it will engage and function like a drill press handle.

Good luck, David

Back