CL Find - Excelsior Power Hacksaw - $50

L

Lost Pup

Forum Guest
Register Today
Added to my collection of a SB lathe and SB Drill Press with a craigslist find of a power hacksaw. Its an Royersford Excelsior M2A Power Hacksaw. $50 and with a few new Bi-Metal blades. Covered with sawdust and grime with all the various adjustments tightened up and or frozen solid. Easily the 260 plus pounds the info claims. It works perfectly at this point, had to figure out the setup adjustments while watching it and they all work. All mechanical linkage types, lift the handle and the saw will hold itself up to load the vise. Start the saw and it slowly lowers the blade to the workpiece to cut. Just thru the cut the saw weights have a stop so the load is off the blade the the end of the saw frame touches a rod which then disengages the main drive gear. The motor continues to spin quietly but the saw gears and drive are stopped.

I actually sat an watched it quite a bit enjoying the simple and effective design of the mechanical linkages, amazing and extremely durable.

Found a brochure but I am looking for the manual for it.

Thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

royersford-excelsiorM2A.jpg

Nice looking saw.

Bonus is that blades are still available, I bring them in for a client every year or so.

Walter

Im am pretty sure thats the brand I have, only mine seams bigger and rugged and also has
an oil pump, oil res. that automaticly raises and lowers a piston pump automatic disengauges.
It is also flat belt driven. My thoughts are 1920s curious I'll check it out today and will be back.

Walter, I have a Racine PH and have not been able to locate any blades for it. Where did you find the blades you refer to?

Pat

Pat

Now if I gave away all my suppliers I would not get any business.

But for you I will make an exception. I am set up with KBC as a reseller and can usually sell at KBC's posted price.

http://www.kbctools.com look at page 229

They have blades ranging from 12 to 24" for power hacksaws in either the KBC brand or Starrett. I usually just get the KBC ones in.

My power hacksaw is a Craftsman model and it uses standard 12" x 1/2" blades that any onther hacksaw frame uses and I use either Milwaukee or Lenox blades for it.

Walter

Old blades from those make pretty decent knife blades!

what an awsome score! i see excelsior i think of motorcycles sorry... ;D
heres a pic of mine,not as cool as yours though but it sure beats the manual way dont they?
congrats on your find..
103_0401.jpg;
103_0400.jpg

Thanks for the info, Walter. I still have a few blades left that came with the saw. They last pretty good if I stay away from large chunks of aluminum. I found that out the hard way. Aluminum will snap a blade in a heart beat.
No thanks Tony, this is as much metal obsession as I need right now. I don't want to get into forging to make knife blades. lol

Pat

Well I thought I was getting hot on this, guess not, I checked mine out and It says on mine
W.Robertson Mach & Fdr'y Co. Buffalo NY No3 on the crank wheel It says Roberson
Economy Improved 1917. As far as blades I get them from Graingers who are 10min away,
guess I lucky, however this machine runs perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back