Clamp Type Knurling Tool

cascao

Active User
Registered
Made this Clamp Type Knurling Tool based on a smaller comercial item I already have. This one can be used on bigger diameters [bit over 2"], mount centered on tool post and is more robust. Screws can be tightened to remove side slope.
38715428625_a235245a78.jpg

Test run showing welded support.
39438953512_5ce7c259a4.jpg

All parts were made in a lathe. Just Facing with a 4 jaw chuck.
39611668731_8d8ef1c7bd.jpg

3/4" by 1/4" flat bar was used for this four pieces. Two of them have central hole counterbored. In this hole a small spacer [same wheel thickness] in mounted for rigidity.
38715583425_d85bfbd9d9.jpg

Used 1/2" square bar to this piece. The area with holes need to have the thickness reduced to same wheel thickness.
38715642775_0deee9c828.jpg

You will need also:
* a threaded bar, M6 or 1/4".
* Two Ø1/2" bar 20mm long.
* A special knurled nut you can made.
* Two knurl wheels.
* Two 1045 pins for knurl wheels. After turning them, heat with a torch and quench in water. Test hardness with a file. Unfortunatelly didn't have any photos of them. Just make the diameter of one side slighty bigger so they mount pressed on side plates. Or use a car poppet valve stem.

@cascao , that is exactly what I have in mind to build!

I already have the knurl wheels in stock and will have to check that the diameter of them will work with your dimensions.
Thanks for sharing the design.

-brino

@cascao , that is exactly what I have in mind to build!

I already have the knurl wheels in stock and will have to check that the diameter of them will work with your dimensions.
Thanks for sharing the design.

-brino
What type/kind of wheels have you got in your stock? Would it be possible to post some pictures?
I'm discovering the differences and attributes as it were, of the various wheels I've been using.
Some have chamfered shoulders, some are 'sharp'. And then there are the imports. . .

What type/kind of wheels have you got in your stock? ................And then there are the imports.

Dan, The ones I got for my project are definitely cheap imports........
They were replacement wheels for this tool:
https://www.busybeetools.com/products/knurling-tool-no-6.html
I just went and checked my previous Busy Bee tools order to post links to them, but it appears that they do NOT sell them any more!

I will try to get some pictures.(.......feel free to poke me with a PM if I'm forgetful/lazy ;^)

However, if they turn out to be real junk, I might just buy a NOS bump style tool that my local used tool places sells, and harvest the wheels for this project. I would have done that initially, but they only recently have them in the store.

-brino

Nice work! I like the 2-piece arm design, which simplifies the build process greatly.

I am in the process of building one with 1-piece arms, which requires milling the slots. So far, I have broken 3 end mills. :cower: The learning curve on a milling machine is steeper than I anticipated...:rolleyes:

What type/kind of wheels have you got in your stock? Would it be possible to post some pictures? I'm discovering the differences and attributes as it were, of the various wheels I've been using. Some have chamfered shoulders, some are 'sharp'. And then there are the imports. . .

As I mentioned above my knurling wheels were from Busy Bee tools, but they do not seem to offer them any more.

They are approx. 0.625" dia, 0.309" thick and have a 0.214" axle hole.

Here's some shots:
packages.jpg
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

-brino

packages.jpgphoto1.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpg

Wonder how hard it would be to make one of those 3 die holders?

Back