Clamping Nuts and Collets: Q

jouesdeveaux

Registered
Registered
I have a Grizzly 8688 7X12 and use a 3" ER 32 collet chuck which came (from L.M.S.) with its own clamping nut. However, at a recent local garage sale I got a severe attack of tool envy and bought a REGO-FIX clamping nut that fits exactly onto my collect chuck (it was only $5!).

PROBLEM: I cannot figure out how to get the ER collet clipped into the REGO-FIX clamping nut. It doesn't have the off-concentric form of my L.M.S. clamping nut that allows me to sort of screw the ER 32 collet into it before tightening the clamping nut onto the the chuck. What have I overlooked? Is there some other way of mounting an ER collet?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

Perhaps the Rego-fix nut was designed without the off-centric ring. I have seen ER collet nuts at sites with and without the off-centric ring.

If the collet nut can tighten down on the collet so the work is held, then you should be able to use it.

The off-centric ring holds the collet to the nut and pulls the collet out when the nut is loosened. With the Rego-fix nut, the nut will loosen, but may not loosen the collet. I am not sure if ER32 collet taper is self ejecting.

My collets snap-fit into my Rego-Fix nut. It is a snugger fit than you would expect but it just requires a firm push. It pull out the same way. An ER taper is not self ejecting, which is why the collet snaps into the nut. As you loosen the nut it pulls the collet from the taper.

Back