Clamps - Your favorite?

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Jim B. titled one of his threads "You can never have enough". He was talking about work holding clamps and was working with wood for his project car at the time. I agree with him that this is true for any kind of wood worker or hobby machinist working with metal.

I have my favorites but find I need more than those to complete the task at hand sometimes so there is always room for more. This week my newest favorite clamp is an old bar clamp that I found digging through the stuff a vendor had at the Nashville flea market this past weekend. I had gone through the vendors stuff last month and did not find anything I wanted/needed. A fellow member here, Gary Max, also at the market suggested I take another look. This time I found a neat bar clamp of a design I have never seen before. It is an old American all iron design with a cam clamp for locking it in place. The patent date cast on one side is Feb 8 81. I assume that the year date is 1881. There is no mfg. name on it, only a #3 cast on the other side.

I prefer bar clamps for welding or wood working. The bar clamps (with plastic) and the cast unknownium c-clamps sold by HF not so good for meadium to heavy use but sometimes necessary if you don't have the right clamp for a project. For machining you have to use whatever camp that works best.

I have attached a photo of my newest favorite clamp in hopes that someone may know the manufacturers name.

What are your favorite clamps?

Old #3 Clamp.jpg

What are your favorite clamps?

I have a clamp fetish and i think there is a 12 step program for it LOL. Buy more clamps. I have at least 30 at work from 2"-16". I just bought 9 forged Bessy 4" yellow ones cheap <100 bucks. I have these little 2" heavy duty ones that i found on some fixtures in an old radiator shop and got them freed up. And a couple dozen small ones here at the house...Bob

lathe 038.jpg lathe 039.jpg lathe 041.jpg lathe 013.jpg

Back