Clamptite tool

Great project Philco. nice gift pkgs you've made too.

Last edited:
HOW IS THIS TOOL USED?
I can't find anything on Andy Wander and this tool.

There's about a million videos on Youtube. Just google "clamptite".

I'm going to make one. I use zillions of hose clamps on the 3/4" water lines running to the stock tanks. This will save me money and trips to the coop.

Refreshing to note that I'm not alone in running a tool into my vise a time or two :lmao:

This tool has been on my "must make" list for a while now. This is the first time I've seen (or noticed) that there is two tapers on the nose. I am aware of how the tool is used, but I can't for the life of me figure out a practical reason it would need two separate tapers. Can anyone answer that?

Philco,

Thanks for sharing and teaching us how to make such a tool…..very nice!

Christmas is over now --- how did they like the gifts!!!??

Nitsuj,
The double taper at the tip is not necessary, it is just for looks. And, it looks very nice, I might add. I also made a few , a couple sizes for myself and a few for gifts. Mine were simple with a single taper like a sharpened pencil.
I included a dvd of instructions and videos, but no fancy box.

Chuck

Yup, gotta put a couple of these in different sizes on my list of to do's. I've made wire clamps from time to time over the years, but making them by hand is an entirely different process, especially if you expect to get them tight. A tool like this will certainly be much better! Thanks for posting this!

This tool has been on my "must make" list for a while now. This is the first time I've seen (or noticed) that there is two tapers on the nose. I am aware of how the tool is used, but I can't for the life of me figure out a practical reason it would need two separate tapers. Can anyone answer that?

Nitsuj, I see that Chucketn answered your question & he is correct, the double taper is not necessary. The double taper was on the print that I was trying to make the tools from. I had never seen or used this tool before & like you I was trying to figure out why the two tapers. It wasn't until I finished & used the tool that I realized that it was not necessary. If you make the tool & you're not trying to win any kind of award for some kind of exotic turning then just do the sharpened pencil shape & you'll be fine. Post some pictures when you finish making them.
Phil

Philco,

Thanks for sharing and teaching us how to make such a tool…..very nice!

Christmas is over now --- how did they like the gifts!!!??

rw1, thanks for the kind comments. After the usual dinner & gift exchange I started handing them out to the men and was making the comment about some ancient Chinese torture tool guaranteed to make any one speak their most secret thoughts. This comment got the women's attention for a few seconds!
All in all it was a good time. I had previously cut up some short pieces of one inch wooden dowel rod & had a roll of wire & several pairs of side cutters. We all sat around the table playing with our new toy I mean tool until the women folk started getting their dishes together to go home. It was really rewarding seeing everyone sitting there so intense on trying to make the perfect clamp. It was almost like we were sitting there playing the ""Make The Clamp" game.
Phil

Back