Clarification on scraper sharpening

toms73novass

Registered
Registered
I have read mutiple posts that the blade should be sharpened to a negative angle of 93-95 degrees.

Could you please indicate should it be sharpened like A or B. I thoughts that it should be B.

Blade angle.jpg

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I begin to experiment and learn.

Last edited:
....... and notice that the drawing shows much more bevel than what 88 degrees would really look like. A scraper with an angle like the drawing would be difficult to make cut in use.

The drawing is purposely not to scale to emphasize the orientation. I might add that the the entire bevel is ideally on a 12" radius.

Gene

The drawing is purposely not to scale to emphasize the orientation. I might add that the the entire bevel is ideally on a 12" radius.

Gene
Yes, Gene, there should be a radius in the cutting edges of the tool as seen in plan view. The radius changes depending on the work being done, and to some extent on preference and how the tool is held. A larger radius for rough scraping large flat surfaces, smaller radii for finishing, dovetails, etc.

Please note that in addition to the rake the radius also matters.

Additionally,
HSS is easier to sharpen than Carbide, at least on the wheels that most of us have on our bench grinders.
HSS hones also well.
Carbide costs more to begin with, and while a sharp edge may last longer, that should not mean that you need carbide in order to produce great scrapes.
My opinion based on reading and my Minnesota scraping mentors.

Daryl
MN

Back