Clausing 100 mk3a Timken spindle bearings

Again, if you were to remove your old bearings there is an excellent chance that you will find a Timken or TRW part number right on the bearing. Any parts guy with a computer can then easily find a replacement. Forget about the obsolete Clausing number.

Is the spindle bearing for this lathe a timkin 14125A tapered bearing or is it a timkin 30212 P5 bearing?

Last edited:
Most tapered roller bearings consist of two separable parts, a cup and a cone. Most cones will fit several non-interchangable cups. And some cups will fit more than one cone. Most (but not all) manufacturers who use standard tapered roller bearings assign their own part number to the cup and cone that they use as it simplifies logistics. But no one outside of a specific company would maintain lists of OEM to individual part numbers. For that information, you have to either look at the ones that your machine uses or go to the OEM. As I said earlier.

Is the spindle bearing for this lathe a timkin 14125A tapered bearing or is it a timkin 30212 P5 bearing?
I’m not sure what the bearing numbers are. I don’t have the lathe disassembled yet. I just finshed a project I was working on , a new draw bar for my mill. I also made new larger dials for the crossslide. The chater was so bad on the draw bar it looked like it was cold chiseled out. Tis has just started in last month or so and, yes the end play and preload on the spindle was checked. I also saw the two teeth are broken off the spindle bull gear which I have not used at all. I do all my single point threading on the slowest belt settingaa which is slow enough if you pay attention. I’m going to get started just as sone as I get a replacement lathe. To use this summer. Think I’ll just completely restore the old gal and have the bed restored and new paint bearings and bushings. I have about a foot of acme lh 1/2” rod to redo the crosslide lead screw and a new nut. I have desided to keep it.
Thanks
CH.

Once you know the numbers you can search for deals. Always best to pull out the old ones and match them in case any mods were done and they're not standard.
I was lucky and found two matched pairs of 62x25 metric Timken roller bearings with cups (4 complete bearings) for $40 including shipping. Always good to have a spare set, especially at that price.
Hi are you saying that 62x25 metric bearing fits the Clausing 100mk3a/4800? What is the thickness of the metric bearing 62x25x?
Thanks
CH

Once you know the numbers you can search for deals. Always best to pull out the old ones and match them in case any mods were done and they're not standard.
I was lucky and found two matched pairs of 62x25 metric Timken roller bearings with cups (4 complete bearings) for $40 including shipping. Always good to have a spare set, especially at that price.
Hi are you saying that 62x25 metric bearing fits the Clausing 100mk3a/4800? What is the thickness of the metric bearing 62x25x?
Thanks
CH
No, that was just the size I needed for my mill. Sorry if it got confusing.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Got them this should be pinned in the clausing lathe forum! Damn what an ordeal.
Ok both spindle cup are Timken 14274A
Forward next to chuck cone Timken 14137A
Rear next to gear train, Timken 14125A
These bearings are rated at 90 million revs there was no information on class or P rating. You can look at the specs, at cadtemkin.com I printed the spec sheet and cad drawing. They still make this bearing for clausing 100 mk3 lathes. These are nothing more than wheel bearings. What a let down you can get bearings and cups for under a 100.00. My oil change cost more than twice that on my outboard. Ultra presion bearings where no avalable during WWII when 99% of these lathes were made. Todays wheel bearings are better than any ting make during those years. They were good enough to defeat NAZI war machines. They should do for me.
Thanks to all who replied. Even the stray OT posters.
CH

Interesting - the rear cone is the same as on the Atlas at that position.

I put the basic information in a Sticky.

Interesting - the rear cone is the same as on the Atlas at that position.

I put the basic information in a Sticky.
I know it suprized me as well. The cups fit two differant size cones. The front inside diameter of the cone is 1.3750”. The id of the back cone is1.2500 and the width is the same as the front cone. Both cups same od and width.
Thanks for making this easy to find glad to be able to contribute.
CH

Ok here is the latest on bearings for these older lathes. Temkin is out of stock on the industrial precision bearings that would be the class 3, 0 the 00, 000 were never made in these sizes. Temkim has no plans to make a production run on these bearing again they are retired. The class 3s have if you can find NOS bearings some where, have +.0003 -0000 TIR the standard bearings in this size have .0015 TIR. I begged the regional sale manager to request a production run and no joy. Besides it will be at least a year from when they descide if ever to do an other production run. Before we will see them.
So people take damn good care of your clausing 100 spindel bearing there is no more. This the word from Temkin. I got 2 large company's looking for NOS 3’s or by gods grace 0. For my lathe right now. Mean while I guess something used or crap china made lathe. I’ll be making a decision on wheather to part the old girl or not. I’v got lots neat stuff for it like near metric change gears, steady rest, bull gear assbys, chucks, lots of taped drills, 2mt, 3mt and larger. Collet chuck. Ect.
Tell me what you think.
CH

Back