Clausing 1670 Few Question on Potential Purchase

DaveBarbier

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,

I came across a Clausing 1670 variable speed on Craigslist. Might take a look at it this weekend. I think I want to replace my Walker Turner with it. Looks more heavy duty and I like the variable speed deal.

First question: The manual I downloaded says the lowest speed is 500rpm but the speed wheel on the machine says 330. It actually says 330 along with 500 for a given wheel position. What gives? Is that like FPM or something? Or maybe with an 1800rpm motor you can get one set of rpms and with a 1200rpm motor you can get the other set?

Second question: I’m trying to find the actual dimensions. Height and...depth? The distance it sticks out from the wall. Just to see if it’s much bigger than my Walker Turner. Space is limited.

Last question, what’s a good price for these machines in decent shape? Column is rusty but the seller says it’s in overall good shape.
He’s asking $325 but I want to pay closer to $200. Too low? It comes with the vise in the picture (could be cheap Chinese crap, hard to say) and a handful of drill bits up to just over 1”. He’s a nice guy and seems like a real straight shooter when talking to him on the phone. I don’t want to low ball him, but then again I’m not in dire need of this machine and I believe he really wants to get rid of it.

When/if I take a look at it I will drill a few holes and check runout. Hoping for less than .005”. My Walker Turner is like .010”.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

4F23E1B2-94DE-4AE0-B655-BF183BD82F51.jpeg

8E212385-6D4B-4B26-9769-3E79E9D2C66A.jpeg

On the dial it has the two motor speeds in a square box just above the center, so yes you need a 1200 rpm motor to get 330

That’s what I was thinking. I’m going to pass on this one and make a slow speed attachment for my Walker Turner.

Back