Clausing 1670

Another breakthrough today. First of all I mixed up some acetone and atf to soak the head. I took a long tapered screwdriver and tapped it in between the head and the stop collar. I got a gap of about 1/2” between them. Then I got about 1/8” turn and then with a few wiggles it let free. Just the head left. Might clamp it down in a chain vice and try some heat and maybe some light tapping from a rubber mallet. If the acetone and atf doesn’t break it free

Acetone and atf for the win. It was soaking for maybe 10 hrs. I started tapping with a rubber mallet and it popped free. I’m now completely disassembled. Trying to figure out if the column can be saved or if I need to source another one. Anybody have any recommendations for where to acquire a new column?

Acetone and atf for the win. It was soaking for maybe 10 hrs. I started tapping with a rubber mallet and it popped free. I’m now completely disassembled. Trying to figure out if the column can be saved or if I need to source another one. Anybody have any recommendations for where to acquire a new column?

The column is a structural member, not a sliding surface. You should be able to de-rust it with some WD-40 and Scotchbrite, then oil or wax it to keep it rust-free.

Today I needed to raise the head of my old Delta drill press and looped a heavy duty chain under the head, attached the chain to my engine host, and lifted the drill press up about 1 inch off the ground and then pounded with a small sledge hammer on a 2x4 against the column and it eventually broke free. The table and base were still attached so they added a little more weight to the column which I'm sure help free it up from the head. Also soaked it with a light weight penetrating oil over night.

Last edited:
Well this was encouraging. I spent about five minutes with a wire cup on a grinder and the table cleaned up really well. Gonna do as much as I can with the grinder then do the tough to reach spots under the base with the sand blaster.

Attachments

• 720D882C-16AA-46B6-A19D-D4498D5CB412.jpeg
    720D882C-16AA-46B6-A19D-D4498D5CB412.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 5
  • C43B5A83-861C-4117-A224-1BD4F94978FF.jpeg
    C43B5A83-861C-4117-A224-1BD4F94978FF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Been a long time but I started up again on the drill press resto. Put the column in a weld positioner and hit it with a well worn wire wheel. It cleaned up really nicely. So far I’ve got the base, Head stop collar, table mount and table blasted and primed. Gonna use Ace hardwares implement and machinery gray paint. All the rust is just surface and cleans up really quickly in the silica blaster

I always get bummed out when these threads have no closure. Through many cycles on the back burner I finished the drill press. The only hiccup I had during reassembly is the main pulley sleeve was pretty worn showing about 7/1000 slop.
I found a guy on YouTube who showered a clever fix using a parted piece of copper pipe as a spacer.
I put the pulley in my lathe and opened it up to match the new spacer and the wobble is almost entirely gone
I may machine a new bushing from brass in the future.
I will post pics when I get it up in the garage.

I just watched a "Project Farm" video that compared various penetrants.

Atf/acetone did pretty well ...coming out in second place, ahead of several commercial products.

Here's an "index" link to a bunch of Project Farm videos. I generally like how carefully and thoroughly Todd designs and performs his tests.

Last edited:
Back