Clausing 4904 just purchased. newb question

Although that is one possibility for the ram being stuck, and perhaps the more likely, another possibility is that either the ram or the ram lock is frozen in the locked position. The key is a round pin running in a semicircular groove, not a Woodruff key.

Last edited:
If you go looking for AXA tool posts, you'll find there are basically two options: USA made (expensive) or Chinese (not nearly as
expensive). Of the Chinese tools, there are a few that have proven to be good quality. One of these choices are the tools sold
by All Industrial Tool on their Ebay site. I've been completely happy the tool holders I've bought from them:

If you go to All Industrial's website you'll see they also sell Aloris if you want to compare prices.

There is also the option of buying a used QCTP and holders (there was a set listed on here earlier today). AFAIK, that would be the only source of Yuasa, for example.. Also (and I have to weasel-word this and say that I am not suggesting that you buy from them) the Chinese maker that generally has perhaps the best reputation (and is maybe the most expensive) is called Shars. I've bought a few things from them and had no complaints. The one thing that I wouldn't buy from them is the # 116 combination turning and facing holder (unless they have changed it). J have one from Yuasa that is probably my most used single holder. And Aloris also makes one. It holds two triangular inserts (which can be either Carbide or HSS). And the inserts are oriented so that they will turn or face to a shoulder. I have only ever seen a photograph of the one sold by Shars but if the photo is correct, both of the inserts are rotated either + or -30 degrees and they won't (cut to a shoulder).

Last edited:
thanks for all the input guys! i bought the China made quick change axa tool holder. luckily i have a mill and cut the base to fit my lathe. Time to cut more!

I got a 4904 about a month ago. The cast iron cross-slide attachment for the taper attachment is broken, but I can weld that. My question is how it works. It looks to me like I need to drop the cross-slide nut out of the cross-slide, setup the taper attachment and use the tool post slide to adjust the material removed. Is that how it works?

Back