Clausing 4904 Restoration Thread

Not a restoration item, but a change I use and find handy .
On the crossfeed and compound dials I got tired of looking for the allen wrench all the time to re-index the dials, SO, I measured the heads of the shcs and took a 1"dia, piece of AL. knurled it, drilled it to the depth of the head on the shcs , parted it off so the drilled hole didn't come thru and pressed it on the shcs head.
Bingo! NO more searching for the wrench hiding in my pocket,just two small handy knurled "knobs".

Hope It works for you too!

Steve in Coal Country.:thinking:

Not a restoration item, but a change I use and find handy .
On the crossfeed and compound dials I got tired of looking for the allen wrench all the time to re-index the dials, SO, I measured the heads of the shcs and took a 1"dia, piece of AL. knurled it, drilled it to the depth of the head on the shcs , parted it off so the drilled hole didn't come thru and pressed it on the shcs head.
Bingo! NO more searching for the wrench hiding in my pocket,just two small handy knurled "knobs".

Hope It works for you too!

Steve in Coal Country.:thinking:
got pic? mostly out of curiosity. mine does not have socket set screws for the dials, but a knurled screw very much like what it sounds like you made for yours.

I had to read this twice to make sure we were on the same page.. my lathe has thumb screws to zero the thumbscrews... i believe thats what they were supposed to have= super easy. McMaster has them if you need some.

Bob

I got my 4900 from work. They were getting rid of it.
Has anyone put DRO’s on theirs???
I got a set on eBay for $200 and they work pretty good so far.
Just curious on others experiences.

Back