Clausing 4904 Restoration Thread

subscribed!
a clausing will be my next lathe. it will be nice to see your restoration.
i started with an atlas. i love it, but, but they are bit too light for heavy work.
until then i'll live my lathe life through you....lol
thanks for the post!!
mike:))

I did a little more housekeeping on the lathe this weekend. I finished up my switch adapter and installed that and then shimmed the switch mounting plate so it would all work. I also adjusted the back gear engagement lockout so that when the switch is in the OFF position I can engage or disengage the back gear. When it is in forward or reverse the back gear lever is locked out. Next up is wiring the switch to the VFD and I am going to try and get some info on wiring a speed control potentiometer to the vfd also. I'm going to hit up Kenny :hi: for some help there.

2013-03-03_15-21-33_719.jpg 2013-03-03_15-21-42_542.jpg 2013-03-03_15-21-49_417.jpg 2013-03-03_16-57-16_68.jpg

I just joined the group recently and have been lurking for a couple of days. I bought a 4904 today, so I will be following your rebuild with interest. I should be picking my lathe up later this week. Mine has the extended cross slide casting, but no taper attachment. Keep the pics coming and at some point I'll post some of mine.

Thanks, I hate waiting to pick up a "new to me machine", but the fellow I bought it from is in the snow removal business and we're bracing for about 8" of snow here tonight. It's going to be a couple of days before he can load it for me. I have been scouring the net for info on 4904s in the meantime. Whats the procedure for running it in back gear? I didn't see a pin to unlock the bull gear. The owner didn't know it even had a back gear, but then he didn't know how to engage the feeds either. Over all it seemed to be in fairly good condition. Just needs a little tlc.

Chuck

Chuck, send me a PM with your email and I can forward you the manual for the 4904. The back gear is as easy as flipping the lever in the back of the headstock and pulling the pin at the end of the spindle.

Bob

Tonight I looked more into my wobbly chuck dilemma and also wired the switch up to the VFD. I was a little nervous about making the connections in the switch so that everything would work right but I took a few minutes and sat down with my ohm meter and confirmed which leads to wire up to. Then I got lucky and found a post on another forum that basically laid out the wiring and programing of the parameters so it was super simple and worked great the first time! I also received my enclosure today so I am going to start planning that out. In the pics, the black, green and red wires are the switch wiring. When I install the enclosure I will probably change them to non standard colors so they are never mistaken for a power cord.

2013-03-05_20-16-44_685.jpg 2013-03-05_20-16-50_313.jpg 2013-03-05_20-17-05_148.jpg

Back