Clausing 4914 Motor lubrication (howell international)

Jason5555

Registered
Registered
Hello Group,
Thank You in advance for any and all assitance. I have a new to me clausing 4914 and have have it all cleaned up and oiled except for the motor. It does currently run off of 220 singe phase(which was a suprise to me at first). But it currently has a 1hp Howell international motor that has 2 red caps on both ends which I assume is for oil/grease. Is anyone familiar with such as to what type, proper way to add/change, and the frequency of such? I've searched the forums and even enailed the company which purchased Howell international with no luck. Thanks again for anyone who can share their wisdom on the matter.
20180422_230835.jpg20180422_230829.jpg

Ah I see the red caps- I have an old Atlas "Super power" motor that is similar. I drip a little 20w non-detergent oil into them about twice a year.
Just a few drops should be enough.
Nice lathe by the way :cool:
Mark

Great, thanks! That was my assumption and I already have the 20wt "3 in 1 motor oil" at the house. I didn't want to assume anything though and come to regret it as has happened 1 to many times in the past. I greatly appreciate the assistance. Also thanks as it's certainly a nice lathe especially for its age. It was an interesting journey to purchasing such as I originally intended on getting a hf mini lathe. One thing lead to another in addition to one thought leading to another and I found myself driving 3 hours to purchase this one. The bank account is still feeling it but I'm still satisfied with the purchase. If be list without this site and many of the well knowns on YouTube.

Back