Clausing 4914

So you find that you use the 3 jaw more, and throw on the 4 jaw when you need to be more precise?

that is correct, unless I already have the 4 jaw on it, and am lazy, and just leave it on ;) I like independent chucks and being able to dial parts in.

How do you like the Phase II? I'd love to get an Aloris but unless I come across a very discounted one I don't think I can afford one. I may take you up on the lantern post, we'll have to see what I can pick up between now and getting the lathe running.
I really like the quick change, and when I got this lathe, used the lantern tool post for a while until I fabricated the T-nut and stud for the QCTP, and I must say it was such a treat to get back to the QCTP and the repeatability of tool height and positioning without having to fuss around. I don't think I would be able to afford an 'aloris' unless someone gave me one (read - real cheap), and the phase II seems to be OK - good enough for me (I have the wedge type - not the piston).

For what it's worth, I've seen these lathes go on sale bare naked with absolutely nothing included, how it came to that is unknown to me as I'd think each lathe had chucks/toolings at some point, but I guess at the selling point it doesn't make much of a difference as to where those are... as long as you get a good deal, everything else can be fabricated/added later on - as long as you are aware of the price you'll pay for those 'extras'

good luck. and hoping to see some pictures soon (offer still stands)

Looking a little more into the VFD...

According to the literature and the specs the FM50-101-C can run a 1HP 220V 3 Phase motor off of 110V single phase power. Unless I'm not reading something right.

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.193/.f

And it's half the price of the WEG CFW model that Charley mentioned.

Looking a little more into the VFD...

According to the literature and the specs the FM50-101-C can run a 1HP 220V 3 Phase motor off of 110V single phase power. Unless I'm not reading something right.

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.193/.f

And it's half the price of the WEG CFW model that Charley mentioned.

you are correct... in my mind I just always try to overshoot for hp, so for a 1hp motor ,I'll try to get a 1.5hp driver... I guess I just got used to it too much. but back to the subject - you are correct, the 101 should drive up to 1hp and run on 110. it's pretty cheap for what it is, and worth a shot! (makes things easier on you doesn't it?)

architard: Don't know if you got your lathe home yet or not. When I bought my Monarck Model K (3900lbs) the local tow truck company picked it up on a flat-bed roll-back and set it inside the shop almost where it needed to be for less than I could rent a trailer for. To load tie down and unload was under 20 minutes and they have insurance. And I have no back pain. Roger

I have an Aloris QCTP on mine, but I got a good deal on it used with some holders. Where I to need one today, I would have no trouble getting a PhaseII wedge style-there are cheaper ones, but cheaper is not always better as we all know.

Do you have the broken off parts from the gearbox? It could possibly be brazed...

You are missing several oil cups as well I noticed. They are cheap from McMaster Carr.

You have a lot of work ahead of you, but it's a fine machine.

Kenny, what size Aloris do you have?

I didn't ask if they had the pieces to the gear box. I think this was the condition they bought it in so I doubt it. I may either have to find the parts second hand, or more than likely make them myself. Not exactly sure how I'd do that yet but I have never been one to back down from a challenge like this. I'm sure there is a lot of work coming my way but honestly I'm looking forward to this project. I hope to learn a lot through getting this thing up and running. I don't think there is a better way to get familiar and completely understand your machinery than having to fix it!

I also didn't notice the missing cups. Its funny, I thought I was prepared to look this thing over but I'm realizing a few things that I missed. Maybe I was a bit boat struck, err lathe struck?

Oh and sorry Charley. I want to say in reading a lot in the recent days I've heard people knock on the Teco brand for having poor documentation. I don't know if that's enough to make you feel better though. I think I'm gonna pick one up, we shall see how well it works.

The AXA QCTP is the correct for this machine IMHO.
not only honest, but I think a correct opinion ... I concur. the center height of the tool holder is roughly the center line of the lathe spindle giving you full range of going under or over center line with the AXA. anything bigger would probably be sacrificing being able to lower your tools to a certain degree.

Back