Clausing 5428 rebuild

AndySomogyi

Registered
Registered
I picked in a Clausing 5428 is evidently extremely poor condition. Most of the problems on it are a combination of wear and what looks like some previous owner tearing into it with a hammer and chisel.

Among many things wrong with it are

(1) cross slide screw bent like a pretzel
(2) electrical system fried
(3) bed worn by 6 thousands
(4) fried spindle bearings

I’ll go ahead and post all questions on this lathe here on this thread.

I’m just trying to get it to a usable condition, so first thing I need to fix is the spindle bearings. I’m following the manual, and following another build thread on Garage Journals.

Did everything the manual said, and using a screw to try to pull the spindle out but it seems stuck. Yes, made sure all the set screws are removed. Can’t seem to figure out it it’s hanging up on the back gear gear or the gear at the tail of the spindle.

Here’s some pics of it,

16650833a288a83f97af32e5ba105798.jpg
e04f8b293f00e35708176418560bd5c3.jpg
a1ee71eef8d3313ec785212e219d8db3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
  • t8.jpg
    t8.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Pulling the spindle. This thing is stuck really badly on the back gear gear, took first a 3/4 all thread to get it this far, now switching to 1/2 all thread and a socket to get it all the way through the back bearing

119be9ed45f8ff646b3a3b2a0ac25c65.jpg

97dd0dda7a1c7a169a29c54936121f78.jpg

Watching!
Those are not hammer marks but intentional oil control groves! Seriously though, are those from dropped tooling?
Robert

I'm wondering about the .006" out on the ways. I'm guessing there are many opinions about this problem. Where and how did you measure this?

After re-wiring my Clausing 5428 to get it to run, I noticed a horrible noise coming from the head stock, specifically the left bearing.

So I took it apart (following the Clausing manual), and much to my horror, this is what I found.

The left bearing does not *look* horrible, but is very gritty when you turn it. There is some pitting on the race.

But it looks like someone took an angle grinder to the spindle journal!!! Also looks like someone tried to disassemble this head stick with a hammer and chisel!!!! There are chisel marks all over this inside. I can’t explain these gouges from the rear journal, it looks like a center punch was driven into it???

The back gear assembly has a oil hole, but looks like someone pressed a new bush in it but neglected to drill out the oil hole. Also someone pulled the spindle out with the key in place destroying the bush completely. Because there was no oil getting to the bush, there was massive wear inside it.

Is this even worth trying to salvage at this point???

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 14
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • t8.jpg
    t8.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'm wondering about the .006" out on the ways. I'm guessing there are many opinions about this problem. Where and how did you measure this?

I put a dial indicator on the tail stick and measured the front prismatic way. Also I put a dial indicator on the saddle and measured the top of the prism. Because the saddle only rests on the sides of the way, and the top of the way is not a wear surface, the saddle drops where the way is worn relative to the top of the way.

It’s not 100% accurate but should give a ball park estimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ea47343203ed98dc362ec6fc60ec7f3f.jpg
a8d46eb0b1b0ddfe14987d783cbe0655.plist
21ce6537536bd1f39154cd95f1d3c34e.plist
3f839ede4ae9f22e29628d8ce841408d.plist
3a9144a518f525eb21739d9ec799ac22.jpg

Is this even worth trying to salvage at this point???

That shaft looks like somebody filled in galling with weld and cleaned it up. That part may be shot, but again, I may be wrong about my diagnosis and opinions vary on matters like this. That bearing cover is beat up but to my untrained eye the bearing races don't look terrible.

I'd say it is still worth salvaging as long as nothing else is butchered like the spindle. The journal looks like the original bearing went out and chewed it up. Then they chewed it up even more getting the bearing body off the spindle and fixed that with an angle grinder. Luckily, the journal appearance isn't terribly important IF is is still concentric with the rest of the spindle. If it isn't then the only option would be to make it smaller and find a bearing to fit. Actually reverse that, find the bearing and then turn or grind the spindle on centers to fit the bearing.

Or grind it down build it up with weld and then grind or turn to original size for an original bearing.

Before I did all that I would make triple sure that spindle isn't bent. It appears to have had a hard go of it and no telling how tore up it is.

I'd say it is still worth salvaging as long as nothing else is butchered like the spindle. The journal looks like the original bearing went out and chewed it up. Then they chewed it up even more getting the bearing body off the spindle and fixed that with an angle grinder. Luckily, the journal appearance isn't terribly important IF is is still concentric with the rest of the spindle. If it isn't then the only option would be to make it smaller and find a bearing to fit. Actually reverse that, find the bearing and then turn or grind the spindle on centers to fit the bearing.

Or grind it down build it up with weld and then grind or turn to original size for an original bearing.

Before I did all that I would make triple sure that spindle isn't bent. It appears to have had a hard go of it and no telling how tore up it is.

I’m trying to check if it’s bent, but the best I’ve got is V blocks and a tenths indicator. It’s very jumpy because the spindle doesn’t ride smooth on the v blocks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back