Clausing 5428 rebuild

The spindle is exactly 1.5 thou oversized (1.8765) on the clean sections and between 0.5 and 1.5 over in the galled up bearing journal.

I figure I’ve got 3 options:

1) make a cylindrical lap and lap the OD of the spindle true as is. This will probably drop it down to 1 thou over. Or maybe lap it down to just where it cleans the high spots.

2) get it spray welded to build up the surface than lap it.

3) machine a ledge and heat shrink a sleeve over the galled up journal.

The Clausing manual says that the spindle should just slide out with very little effort. That would indicate that they use a very light fit for the bearings.

The hardest part about these options is how to do them without a lathe? I suppose I can try to beg and plead with our shop boss at work to let me use a lathe there. If that fails, maybe I can make a cylinder lap on my mill with the rotary table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Could welding or spray welding warp the spindle? I like choice 1.
R

Could welding or spray welding warp the spindle? I like choice 1.
R

I don’t think spray welding can warp it, I know it’s a commonly used technique for building up worn journals. Journals are of course ground after spray welding so that takes care of any uneven coating. I’m also looking into chrome plating.

Mapped out the shaft diameters here at 1/2 inch increments, these are in ten thousands over 1.875.

It looks like the spindle was originally made with 2 thou oversized in the ledge closest to then about 1 thou oversize for the rest of the shaft, interesting I think. The section between the center and end journals is clean, nothing rides here so I’m assuming this is the original shaft diameter.

363473382e1aeca501e86fc11a122587.jpg

I contacted Clausing and got a few prints from them. These clearly show that as I suspected, the bushes in the pulley are installed completely wrong. This at least is an easy fix, just need to find another lathe to use so that I can make a pair of bushes.

The spindle is going to be a harder fix. I think I'll probably have to shave a thousands or so off of it, get it chromed and then get it ground to size.

Attachments

• 701-003 Head Spindle - min.jpg
    701-003 Head Spindle - min.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 560-034 Pulley, Spindle - min.jpg
    560-034 Pulley, Spindle - min.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
"The spindle is going to be a harder fix. I think I'll probably have to shave a thousands or so off of it, get it chromed and then get it ground "

Please elaborate on this process. I am unfamiliar. How much thickness can chroming add? Is this like the decorative chrome I see on a car part? Is this process expensive? Would this be as durable as the original spindle?

Robert

"The spindle is going to be a harder fix. I think I'll probably have to shave a thousands or so off of it, get it chromed and then get it ground "

Please elaborate on this process. I am unfamiliar. How much thickness can chroming add? Is this like the decorative chrome I see on a car part? Is this process expensive? Would this be as durable as the original spindle?

Robert

Hard chrome plating deposits a chrome coating over the steel that's much harder than the base metal, hard chrome plating is usually applied to wear areas like spindles, hydraulic cylinders, etc. The spindles of most milling machines are chromed. Hard chrome can be anywhere from a couple tenths up to several thousands thick. Chrome is deposited by electrolysis.

There lots of coatings / platings available, like thermal spray welding deposits a steel layer with high heat and velocity, this is usually used to build up badly worn surfaces.

Copying this here from Chris's thread over at Garage Journals, incase that thread disappears.

Clausing model 5428, serial 002205, sold in 1960

3 main drive belts
Clausing number- 051-014
Original- 13595
Replacement- Gates 7597

Upper variable speed belt
Clausing number- 051-021
Original- RVS 506 15
Replacement- 1626V293

Lower variable speed belt
Clausing number- 051-022
Original- RVS 505 09
Replacement- 1626V262

Spindle bearings
Clausing number- 045-001
Original- Timken 369A and 368A
outer race 362B
Replacement - Timken 369A, 368A, and two 362B races.
I've looked for sealed replacement bearings, and can't seem to find any this size. Guess I'm going to have to stay with open bearings.

Bearings for taper attachment, ideler pulley under headstock, and quick change gear box:
Clausing numbers (multiple) 50-18 , 044-018
Original- Fafnir 202 KDD5
Replacement- EBC 1623 2RS

Bearings for taper attachment, ideler pulley under headstock, and quick change gear box:
Original- Fafnir 202 KDD5

The lathe uses lots of these, but these are a very common 5/8 ID, 35mm OD, 11m thick. Using

Koyo 6202-10-2RS 5/8 Bearings 35mm O.D. 5/8mm I.D. 11mm Height

The bearings on the belt tensioner were also roached, so ordered new ones.

Still not sure what to do about the spindle, we’ll see if any place gets back to me about grinding.

200bb0b9fb3a8f8ee660db74c17941d3.jpg

Back