Clausing 5900 bed twist.? Or not

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was leveling the lathe for the second time. I thought I had it right a week ago and it was pretty good but wasn’t completed since I had to order some hockey pucks. I only had two of the original leveling pads so I used some rubber and wood first go round.
After installing the 2 hockey pucks under the OE screws and plate.... Then tried to level the lathe it was a no go. I noticed significant bed twist.
A67F8291-028A-4336-94DA-0E218A9A235B.jpeg4805F9C9-B9AD-4714-B6DF-A3155A9791A9.jpeg

Last edited:
So, I was a bit taken back. For one thing this isn’t a long bed lathe. It’s a 5903, 24” between centers. I couldn’t believe that the bed was truly twisted permanently.
A little background on this find is that it was purchased from a scrapper who grabbed it after Katrina. When I went to look at it it was sitting outside uncovered with the pan full of about 2” of water. It was rough. It occurred to me that the lathe was most likely banged around by the scrapper plus that rust in the pan could also be an issue.
I unscrewed the four nuts securing the tail end of the lathe to the base. I then put a come-along under the tail end and lifted the lathe until the lathe and base had about a 16th inch. Scraped rust and used air gun to clean area of where lathe bed contacts the base. I then placed 2 razor blades under front side of the tail side of bed. Lowered and leveled the lathe.
6B9B80B3-26C0-4CDE-8008-E17191747C8A.jpeg1330BC45-198A-49A3-9DDC-948F5B7AEE53.jpeg

All and all it looks good. I’m guessing that there was a combination of rust with maybe some racking of the base pedestal and when I loosened, cleaned and shimmed the base tail end of lathe I “fixed” it.4C97A4C2-B9AE-4431-BBAE-7B8F7CAA1408.jpeg629651D0-7355-40DA-B84C-02479689DDA9.jpeg

Lathes that sit around while not on even support to keep it in alignment will soon move, and gradually move farther. It you get perfect parallelism on the first try, you still need to check it in a week or so, and will probably be less than happy with what you find. Level it again, let it sit another week, then test it again. It takes time for the metal to let the stresses out. It should be out less each time you check it, until it finally settles down. The floor itself may be part of the problem, ongoing settling from the weight. If the floor is not solid enough to settle into a permanent position and just keeps moving, then you have a problem. The best answer to that is spreading the load over a larger area of the floor, something like putting thick 12" x 12" plates under each leveling foot to spread the loading over a larger area. Rinse, lather, repeat until you are happy with it.

Thanks Bob. Good to know. It’s now sitting on a concrete slab poured in 1952 when parents built this house.... So it’s pretty stable now. But what you say about checking every week pretty much confirmed what I was also thinking. So that’s what I’ll do.
It was sitting outside when I got it and looked like it was sitting there a while.
It was really a gamble but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Below is how it looked back then.

AC8B0B2D-61A4-44CE-BA85-355EBE09A948.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, a 618 is a light lathe, probably no issues with any concrete mounting. Just let it settle in for a while before calling it level.

Umm what did I miss? that's not an Atlas..:cool:
good job on the cleanup Tim, I bet there's lots of life left in that bad boy

Last edited:
Getting ready to fire up the 5917 Clausing as soon as the vfds arrive . I like that 5903 . :encourage:

Are you certan those V-ways are the same height?

You are a braver man than me. But for the right price, I suppose worth the challenge.

What did you use to remove rust from the ways? I've seen people file and sandpaper rusty ways. Seems like there's a youtube where a guy uses an angle grinder. Makes me shudder to think of these things.

Leveling is not an end in itself, but a means to an end. Try taking some cuts and see if it makes tapers, adjust at the tailstock end until it cuts straight.

Back