Clausing 5904 Info

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi gang,

I found a Clausing 5904 lathe and was wondering what you owners can tell me about your machines. From what I have been able to research they seem to be pretty nice machines. This one is a 24 between centers unit. It has a VFD all wired and ready to go. Any pros and cons you can clue me into would be great. Any hurtles to clear on being able to turning metric threads? The more info the better, thanks.

I’m familiar with the 6900 series. About the same, just the 6900 is a little bigger. Some folks are disappointed with the vari-drive, but I do not have any problems with it. If it has a VFD, maybe the vari-drive was bypassed? And some complain about the clutch. I can also say I have had a clutch problem or two. But, is not that hard to fix. Parts are still available to my knowledge? You could get sticker shock though. I can hold tenth’s all day with it. All in all a nice lathe but not a 10ee…Dave

Dave,

Can you elaborate on the drive. What are the draw-backs that others are voicing?

Yeah, I'll have to give him a call and find out the details. Not sure what you mean sticker shock, he is asking $3000. If it is a good machine with VFD I'd think he is in the ballpark. You are not always going to fine deals. I just want fair.

I have the 5914, converted to VFD. It required numerous bearing replacements (QCGB, backgear hub, motor), spindle was fine.
Its a pretty nice running lathe at this point. Only issue is that the feed gears are a bit noisy but I think some of that is to be expected.
Metric treading requires a special banjo with the conversion gears, not cheap, but someone on the yahoo or PM group was reproducing them at one point.
Steady rests for these are rare and expensive, grab one if you run into one...

Awhile back someone on eBay was making the Metric gearing for the 5900. I kinda recollect $350? Anyway, it’s possible, but, you would need to remove the head stock end cover. Remove the banjo. And do other stuff just to cut Metric. It would not be just as simple as moving a lever or something. I solved the metric thread cutting problem by getting another lathe. And it’s dedicated to cutting Metric threads only! And it was cheaper than getting Metric gearing for the 6900. And now I have two lathes. Well, two lathes for that one side of the shop anyway.

Last edited:
Dave,

Can you elaborate on the drive. What are the draw-backs that others are voicing?

Yeah, I'll have to give him a call and find out the details. Not sure what you mean sticker shock, he is asking $3000. If it is a good machine with VFD I'd think he is in the ballpark. You are not always going to fine deals. I just want fair.
One of the vari-drive parts has a coated steel shaft. This coating could come off the shaft. Don’t recall what the coating material is? Maybe in the plastic family? Mine is green in color. If the coating does come off the vari-drive, it’s useless and the lathe will not run. I have seen on the net numerous ideas on a fix.

Sorry, when I said sticker shock I meant paying Clausing replacement part prices.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the great info., it is highly appreciated. Well, I talked to the seller and all the mechanical variable speed drive components have been removed in favor of the VFD. I am now a bit concerned about the inconvenience of metric threading. Not an insurmountable hurdle but, inconvenient non the less. The machine has been posted for 23 days now and doesn't look like it is moving all that fast. I am going to take some more time to ponder my decision.

Attachments

• MetricThreadCuttingAttachment_5900_7124.pdf
    569.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Metric-Thread-Chart_5900.PDF
    51.2 KB · Views: 18
Thank you Pete. :encourage::encourage::encourage:

That is great info.

One plus for the machine is it has the L00 spindle nose. That is the same as my Logan.

Did you ever get this machine. I have a 5904 and I think it is one of the best lathes I have run. I converted my to the VFD route after I purchased it. Mine came is plenty of chucks, Jacobs collets, steady rest, centers, tool holders. Other than this vari-drive, it worked great. Spend a few hundred to convert it and can't be happier. Built a 5D collect system for it. I think I have about $1000 in the entire lathe including it purchase price. The next project might be a DRO and new cross feed nut / screw. I put a travel-dial on it and those really are very nice but the I am building a V-Four motor which needs to have a lot of lathe work.

Back