Clausing 5914 - VFD Direct Drive - Some Questions & Thoughts

I’d really like to do this to my 5900. But I use my 4 jaw chuck almost exclusively. Can you spin the chuck by hand to dial in a part?
Absolutely, its part of the benefit. The chuck spins as freely as when you disengage the drive pin on the spindle end.

Nice! Thanks.
One (Or two) more questions. What is the breaking resistor? Is it something you wire into the vfd?
How do you know what size potentiometer to use?
Thanks again.

Nice! Thanks.
One (Or two) more questions. What is the breaking resistor? Is it something you wire into the vfd?
How do you know what size potentiometer to use?
Thanks again.

The resistor size is specified in your VFD manual if it allows for the use of an external braking resistor. My model (WJ200 3hp) can handle a 35ohm resistor. It needs to be wired into the VFD.

I used a 2k potentiometer.

Thank you again. I googled the resistors. Should have done that before asking the question. Duh

I'm looking at putting a VFD on my 5914 and I really like the way yours worked in that video. I like that you incorporated the stock off/on lever.
I can handle the mechanical part of this, but I'm pretty clueless on the electronics. Would you be willing to offer some coaching?
And do you know if your electrical set up would work with the original Reuland 3ph 2hp motor?

Back