Clausing 8520 and 8530

Oldseabee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a lengthy post going on in bench mill choices. But I figured out that I need to post here to. I'm in the process of restoration of my 8530. Clausing still has numerous parts. But no table feed nut. So the Clausing tech department emailed me the blueprint dated 6-16-61. I'm taking the print and my worn table feed nut to a local machine shop to see what they will charge to duplicate. They mainly do cnc. So if I can get them to do this are any other members interested in purchasing one if I can get the price down to a reasonable rate per part. I know brass or bronze price has really increased and in some cases hard to get for the shops.
I'll post later today what I find out. I'm going to try more than one shop.
Mike

I'd check your current to the plan. The 8530 had a different knee from the 8520, and I don't believe the 8530 was available in 1961. The earliest reference I've found to the 8530 is 1968.

The feed nut may be the same on both, but I would double check the plan against yours before having one made.

That did not end well, or cheap. If I want 1 made, $1,300. For 10 $ 395.00 each. So being a Navy Seabee for 20 years and learning how to do more for less I think I have now found a fix. Use bronze round stock. Just under 1 inch. Machine out the existing threads . Lite press fit and pinned in place. Drill to required size and tap it. Mine is 7/8 x10. Should be easy. I hope.
I'll post pictures.

You can also post in the “can you make me something” forum and someone here might be able to do it for you for considerably less than that machine shop.

Back