Clausing 8520 Mill gears and other stuff on link, hope this is a help

gregg

Active User
Registered
[h=1]Gears http://www.wentztech.com/metalworking/equipment/clausing-8520-mill/[/h]The gears in the quill can easily be broken. Here are some notes I collected on replacement gears:
One owner found one of the gears in his mill was marked Boston Gear S-3232.
Their online catalog shows this to be a 32 DP 14.5 degree PA 32 tooth
The last pinion that drives the last gear that slides on the spline is 24 DP instead of 32 DP.
It turns out that the small spur gear portion of the 8520 compound gear (Clausing part 990-065 – cost $66) is a close match to McMaster-Carr part no. 6325 K31. Cost $7.79. A bit of cutting to get the hub thickness down to 1/4 inch, some finish sanding and reassembly using 1/4″ dia. cold rolled stock as a shaft and a broken length of 1/16″ drill bit as a pin to lock the two gears – and everything works. Whole job took about an hour and a half.
When I purchased my mill the gears seemed a little crunchy. It turned out that they were just dirty with dried grease. Here are some photos I found on the net that show the gear placements.
FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpgFeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg
QuillFeedGears8520-30.jpg

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

That's good info Gregg! And a great cost savings too!!

I guess I was lucky and my fine gears were in great shape and after Terrywerm told me about these being "tender", I pulled the cover and removed them and cleaned / inspected / re-lubed / re-installed.

So thanks for the info and the help to all of us here.

That's good info Gregg! And a great cost savings too!!

I guess I was lucky and my fine gears were in great shape and after Terrywerm told me about these being "tender", I pulled the cover and removed them and cleaned / inspected / re-lubed / re-installed.

So thanks for the info and the help to all of us here.

I was studying you post and that why when I found this information I was hoping it could help others. So thank you for a good thread.

Gears http://www.wentztech.com/metalworking/equipment/clausing-8520-mill/

The gears in the quill can easily be broken. Here are some notes I collected on replacement gears:
The last pinion that drives the last gear that slides on the spline is 24 DP instead of 32 DP.
It turns out that the small spur gear portion of the 8520 compound gear (Clausing part 990-065 – cost $66) is a close match to McMaster-Carr part no. 6325 K31. Cost $7.79. A bit of cutting to get the hub thickness down to 1/4 inch, some finish sanding and reassembly using 1/4″ dia. cold rolled stock as a shaft and a broken length of 1/16″ drill bit as a pin to lock the two gears – and everything works. Whole job took about an hour and a half.
When I purchased my mill the gears seemed a little crunchy. It turned out that they were just dirty with dried grease. Here are some photos I found on the net that show the gear placements.
I purchased my 8520 and found out after getting home that all the gears are missing in the quill. Are you saying I can buy them, or do I need to make them? Are they available from Boston gear?

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

I am sorry this is my first try. Do I need to make these gears or are they available to buy. My machine is missing all of the quill gears. Thank you for posting the info. I believe you are saying that the 12 T can be made from pinion stock. Where would I purchase enough to do the gears? I do not have the shaft either, so can I make it from pinion stock as well?

Last edited:
I am sorry this is my first try. Do I need to make these gears or are they available to buy. My machine is missing all of the quill gears. Thank you for posting the info. I believe you are saying that the 12 T can be made from pinion stock. Where would I purchase enough to do the gears? I do not have the shaft either, so can I make it from pinion stock as well?

Well at least one of the gears is from Boston Gear, and another is from McMaster Carr. With the picture that he provided and a phone call or e-mail to Boston Gear, maybe they would have more of them?? It's certainly worth a try, all they can say is no right? It's my understanding that Clausing still has some of these available but very expensive.

quote"One owner found one of the gears in his mill was marked Boston Gear S-3232.

It turns out that the small spur gear portion of the 8520 compound gear (Clausing part 990-065 – cost $66) is a close match to McMaster-Carr part no. 6325 K31. Cost $7.79. A bit of cutting to get the hub thickness down to 1/4 inch, some finish sanding and reassembly using 1/4″ dia. cold rolled stock as a shaft and a broken length of 1/16″ drill bit as a pin to lock the two gears – and everything works" end quote

Gears http://www.wentztech.com/metalworking/equipment/clausing-8520-mill/

The gears in the quill can easily be broken. Here are some notes I collected on replacement gears:
I believe there is an error in the number of teeth in the larger 24DP gear. The calculation for the OD is not correct with 24 teeth. I also counted the teeth in the picture and it appears to be more than 24. What do you believe is the correct number and could it be explained to me as a novice. I will attempt to make the gears on my mill. Thank you.

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears2-IMG_0448.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

FeedGears1-IMG_0451.jpg

I believe there may be an error in the picture for the larger 24DP gear for the numbers of teeth. The formula for the OD does not compute correctly for the OD for a 24DP gear with 24 teeth. Also, I count the teeth in the picture and it appears to be more than 24. Could someone explain to me as a novice if I am correct and if so what number is incorrect. I plan on making two sets of gears out of brass on my mill with indexer. Thank you.

I'm glad your bring this up here. I don't have a Clausing mill. Going to go look at a 8530 if still there. Good luck to you. I know someone has a answer on this board.

I believe there may be an error in the picture for the larger 24DP gear for the numbers of teeth. The formula for the OD does not compute correctly for the OD for a 24DP gear with 24 teeth. Also, I count the teeth in the picture and it appears to be more than 24. Could someone explain to me as a novice if I am correct and if so what number is incorrect. I plan on making two sets of gears out of brass on my mill with indexer. Thank you.

I believe you are correct, if we are talking of the gear all the way to the right. It seems to have maybe 48 teeth. Good catch

Back