Clausing 8520 Mill in Grand Junction CO

Gasengin, Bill & Bob,
Thanks for your input, by being 200 miles from the machine my approach will be to negotiate a meeting date if it is still on the market in early February. I believe a face to face meeting and inspection are crucial. From there the guidelines Bob has set forth will be followed. I am not sure if the seller is aware of this website but their description of the machine makes me think they would be a third person involved in the transaction. Not a critical thing to me in any case, if I our prices don't coincide then obviously there is no deal.
Not having seen one of these machines makes me wonder if I can use the tooling I have for my Enco 105 Mill/Drill on the Clausing 8520. Several responses have been made mostly favorable and they are appreciated. The requesting price is at the upper range of my budget, but perhaps the sale of the Enco would ease that. How well does the 8520 handle a boring head to make a 1.75" dia hole is the type of questions running through my mind. On the Enco I try to keep it running as smoothly as I can so my DOC and feed rate are normally less than those listed in the books. Much of my work is in steel.
I understand the quill travel is 3" but am not sure of the distance from the quill to the top of a lowered table.
Thanks for all of your help.
Ray
I try to be honest and straightforward with any seller, and when I am the seller. People can tell if you are feeding them a line, and will hold back. If you are honest and earnest, look 'em in the eyes and tell them how you see the possible transaction being closed in a favorable way to both parties, then they pay attention. It is also at this point where you can see clearly whether they are being honest and straightforward. This is where solid deals are made in short order, or where you become pretty sure it is hopeless. It helps a lot if you really do not "need" something. As hobbyists, we never do, if you think about it rationally. Don't get all caught up in a frenzy and do dumb things. Make the deal easily understandable with clear benefits to both parties. We want both sides of the transaction to walk away happy. I do not care if anybody I have bought or sold something from/to reads about it on H-M or on a billboard.

Last edited:
Found this old thread and thought I would give my .02 because it was my Clausing 8520 that I sold a few years ago that evidently caused a little discussion on here. I appreciate the solid advice from Bob Korves about buying and selling and being straightforward with sellers. In my opinion, Bob is "Spot On" about "Low offers by email from people who have not looked at the item are not often well received."
That is exactly what happened more than once on the sale of this Clausing, and yes, those offers were not well recieved.

I caught more than one person feeding me a line of BS about the purchase of this machine and had a couple make an appointment and never showed up. No phone call, No integrity in my book.

I have another Clausing mill that I have been thinking about selling in the near future in phenominal condition, just as the one I sold a few years ago. There is a following for these machines just because they can be torn down and moved with two or three guys without heavy equipment and they run on any household 110 volt.

These 8520, 8525 and 8530 Clausings here in the west usually bring top dollar if they are in really good condition and the seller isn't in a hurry to sell. Which would be my position on these mills.

Anyway, I realize this thread is four years old, but I thought it might shed some light on the next Clausing mill for sale here in Grand Junction, Colorado and if someone might be interested.

Great Forum and Happy New Year!

@Winch_Warrior .
Thanks for the "heads up". I am basically window shopping at this time. The interest in Clausing stems from the Lathe I currently own, I like it. I also have 2 mill drills with R-8 collets and I believe the Clausings are MT3 so changing over is a factor.

I have an upcoming appointment with Urological Associates in Grand Junction in May? and if things haven't changed a great deal perhaps I can make an appointment at that time.

Back