Clausing 8520 Mill

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
It has taken 4 months to get ready for this day. My Clausing 8520 Milling Machine is here. We just returned home with it.

"Billy G" :))

claus 001 (700 x 525).jpg claus 002 (700 x 525).jpg

Bill,
YOU SUCK!!!!! You do stumble up on some nice stuff. I sure wish we had the kind of stuff in my area that you seem to consistently find in yours. Are you planning a rebuild from the ground up or just a minor tweak and adjust until later? You always make such cool stuff I look for your posts to see what new and exotic thing you are making now. So keep up the great work and send a little of that good fortune my way when you have a bit to spare. You are one lucky old dog.....
Bob

This one is a runner Bob. Only a wash down needs to be done. It was rebuilt last year. It has never cut anything but Brass. The price was right, I bartered for this one. He needed some parts (50 pieces) made and I needed a mill. Done deal.

"Billy G" :))

Bill

So this is a small version as a Bridgeport? Dose it work the same? Looks like it would fit in a home shop better.

that is really nice bill i have as friend that has the same machine. it is so well built. just look at all the gib screws they were not playing around when they built them.
steve

Nice looking machine, Bill. Ready to run is hard to beat. And if I recall correctly, you didn't have a mill in your shop prior to this. So that makes it so much sweeter. Congratulations!

Congratulations on obtaining that Clausing! You will like it. I was always used to working with Bridgeports and clones (somebody else's) and I was interested in an 8520 for myself but was always worried that it would be too small. I finally found one a year ago and got it home. Went through it and found that it will need to have a new gear made for the fine feed. It had a few other small problems but they were easily remedied. So far it has been a great machine for my purposes and size has not been a problem. Good luck and enjoy yours!

Problem #1. The Vibration Isolators on the motor mount are shot. They are dried out and badly worn. New ones will need to be made. Piece of cake.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Very nice!!! Does this has features like Bridgeports? Like powered feeds and all of that? I wish I had stuff like this around my area!!!!

Thanks,
Chris

Back