Clausing 8520 Motor Mount Questions

palada

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a fair condition Clausing 8520 yesterday for $700. Among it's quirks is a homemade motor mount that includes residential door hinges. I'd like to mount the motor in a better way.

What is the correct frame size for the motor? Mine came with a 56, but I know it's not the original motor.

Does anyone else have this frame motor on this mill, and if so, can you post a picture of the mounting?

If I make a spacer out of aluminum, is there anything I need to take into account other than distance and height of the pulleys?

Picture attached for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• motormount.jpg
    motormount.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 31
I have a 8530 and a factory user manual for it. Surprisingly the manual doesn't give a recommended frame size....only that the motor should be 1/2-3/4 h.p. and 1725 rpm.

I'm far from an 8520 expert having just brought one home last week, but I think maybe something else is going on there. Mine has a 56 frame size motor on it and may be a later replacement, but is direct mount to the frame/casting. The motor should mount directly to the casting. It looks like they added the hinge and threaded rod system to be able to use the wrong size (larger) belt. I know the correct belt isn't common since it's only 22" long...maybe this was a work around?

I can take some pictures of mine tonight.

I'm far from an 8520 expert having just brought one home last week, but I think maybe something else is going on there. Mine has a 56 frame size motor on it and may be a later replacement, but is direct mount to the frame/casting. The motor should mount directly to the casting. It looks like they added the hinge and threaded rod system to be able to use the wrong size (larger) belt. I know the correct belt isn't common since it's only 22" long...maybe this was a work around?

I can take some pictures of mine tonight.
Of course! Seems like it should have been more obvious. No doubt you nailed it. I'll find the right length belt and mount it to the casting with some rubber or nylon grommets.

I don't want to leave the homemade mount because it has some questionable welds and looks like hell IMO.

Of course! Seems like it should have been more obvious. No doubt you nailed it. I'll find the right length belt and mount it to the casting with some rubber or nylon grommets.

I don't want to leave the homemade mount because it has some questionable welds and looks like hell IMO.
I hope I was right! I just put a new AX20 belt on mine based upon a recommendation off the Clausing group and it's a nice, Made in US belt made of EPDM. It seems very supple and it's quiet...plus only $12.

Here are pics of how mine is mounted:

IMG_3582.JPGIMG_3583.JPG

Back