Clausing 8530 Restoration

Wow! Nice work jcp. That column looks really smooth and shiny. I've heard that Clausing had used filler on some of the cast iron pieces, I'm assuming this was sort of like Bondo body filler. If that is the case, did you take yours down to bare cast iron and redo the filler or sand the old paint off preserving the filler? I've run the turret and spacer through my Rubbermaid hot tank of Zep Purple Degreaser which stripped them down to bare metal. I did this before I realized there might have been filler on them. My degreaser and Evapo-Rust tanks aren't large enough to fit the column or knee, so I'm planning to build a 55 gallon hot tank for degreasing/stripping and a 55 gallon electrolysis tank for rust removal.

The column indeed has filler. I used paint stripper on mine and it worked on the filler also. Shouldn’t have done that…created much more work to correct.

Dang! I don't want to mess around with filler, that sounds like a real hassle.

The hassle was in removing the stripper damaged filler. Applying the filler is an easy deal (really). My suggestion is to degrease and then sand....no need to get carried away with the sanding either down to 320 and the Rustoleum will come out great.
I had to make several parts for mine so any questions, ask, post up, and I'll be glad to help.
Jim

The hassle was in removing the stripper damaged filler. Applying the filler is an easy deal (really). My suggestion is to degrease and then sand....no need to get carried away with the sanding either down to 320 and the Rustoleum will come out great.
I had to make several parts for mine so any questions, ask, post up, and I'll be glad to help.
Jim
Thanks for the tips and offer to help Jim! What kind of filler did you use?

I used regular auto body filler ( I worked in an auto body shop when younger). A bit pricey but easy to use. Get a rasp if you don’t already have one. They are similar to a course file but look like a cheese grater. Use the rasp and 80 grit paper to work the filler to shape, then go over it with glazing putty, then 220 sandpaper. Makes an easy, quick surface ready for primer.

My personal opinion.. repeat what you did on the base. If you don't see any evidence of rusting or damage on the column then don't go looking for trouble or creating it! JMHO. :cool:

I went through mine (also a 8530) 4 years ago. Took it down to every bolt and nut. Clausing has some parts available but they are tear producing high. If they don't have the part they will send you a drawing with all dimensions. I even used the same color as yours.
View attachment 424075
The more I see these, I am convinced they are a perfect size for us hobby guys.

The more I see these, I am convinced they are a perfect size for us hobby guys.
And that is why they command the money they do. Many folks realized the same reality and grabbed one as soon as they found one. I know I'll never let mine go.!.!

My personal opinion.. repeat what you did on the base. If you don't see any evidence of rusting or damage on the column then don't go looking for trouble or creating it! JMHO. :cool:
You make a good point here. I have a tendency to make things more difficult then they have to be.

Back