• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Clausing/Colchester 11" (Colchester Bantam 2000)

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TAWP Tool

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hello all,

Just last night I finished the cleanup of my new (to me) lathe. It is a Clausing/Colchester 11" gear head lathe (11x30). It is known as a Colchester Bantam 2000 in the UK. It was built in 1979. This happens to be the youngest machine in my little workshop.

When I received it, it had grease, oil and grime over much of it, but had little to no wear. I retained the stock 2hp 3ph motor, and installed a Teco VFD to manage it. I now have variable speed and a MachTach installed. The panel that it's mounted on is temporary until I can build a suitable dedicated enclosure.

This lathe is probably the one that my Wife will have to bury me with! haha It's a dream to run and I really enjoy it.

I bought it with a insurgent U 3-jaw chuck, an Aloris QCTP and six tool holders, but little else. I am actively searching for a follow rest and steady rest for it. I would prefer original, but I may have to resort to other options. They are difficult to find!

Guy

And now for some pics...

clausing - 01.jpg clausing - 02.jpg clausing - 03.jpg

clausing - 01.jpg clausing - 02.jpg clausing - 03.jpg

xalky

Global Moderator
Nice lathe. Thats a perfect size for a home shop. I'm looking for a lathe in that size class, up to like a 13x40 would be ideal. Very very nice. I too would like something newer for a lathe. My newest machine is the Bridgeport 1974 which is not terribly old. My oldest is my 1938 SouthBend 9 without quick change gears or thread indexer.

Cheeseking

Active User
Hey Guy,

I just found this forum and decided to join. Think I spoke with you on the Colchester users group awhile back and I believe we have pretty much the same exact machines! Yours looks great shape from the pics. I'll have to try and post some of mine from my phone.
I am running it with a 7.5 hp rotary converter but I think VFD definitely has some advantages.
IMO in many respects we have the perfect little home shop lathe. Have not seen anything remotely close (possibly the Emco maximat super-11) as good quality, geared, not too big, not too small. Like you I am tickled to death with it. Parts are still available but bend over and pick up the soap!

I will keep my eye out for a steady and follower for ya. Rare as hens teeth but you never know. The only option mine is missing is the taper attachment.

CK

Cheeseking

Active User
Figuring out how to post pics.
Anyway here's my Bantam (and my BP mill just got set up after a year of disassembly-cleaning-reassembly)
I have done a few projects but so far most of my time and effort has been getting everything down in the basement and all set up.

Em

Cheeseking

Active User
Shoot sorry guys I must have done something wrong. All i see are ? ? Marks where pics should be.

Cheeseking

Active User
Figuring out how to post pics.
Anyway here's my Bantam (and my BP mill just got set up after a year of disassembly-cleaning-reassembly)
I have done a few projects but so far most of my time and effort has been getting everything down in the basement and all set up.
Think I finally figured out how to add pics :))

IMG_1464.jpg IMG_1463.jpg

Cheeseking

Active User
While Im posting figured Id throw up a little project I did few years back when I was reassembling my Bantam. The way wipers on mine were hardened and crumbling. Clausing said they could still be ordered but the cost was un-holy!!! I reverse engineered off the one that was still intact and made myself a little open pour mould out of aluminum. I tried liquid castable polyurethane (so so) and here I tried some metrology putty. I got a small sample of it from a trade show and it turned out to be just enough to fill my mold and make one set! Turned out pretty nice if I do say so:))
The repro rubber is fairly costly but it sure works nice and cures in like 5 minutes. The urethane I got from Smooth-on was messy to mix, took overnight to cure and there seemed to be bunch of air bubbles in the part. My gating and riser design was seat of the pants educated guestimate on dimensoions and proportions. Yeah I know a sheet of neoprene and a utility knife would have been tons easier but hey, this is a hobby after all....
IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0831.jpg IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0831.jpg IMG_0830.jpg

TAWP Tool

Paul, that is awesome! That is some beautiful work!

I too contacted Clausing to see how much a replacement set would cost me. Don't quote me on the price, but I seem to remember that a set was $375! Ouch!

I would like to help you recoup the cost of your time on the molds, and material of course - Can I buy a set from you?

Guy

While Im posting figured Id throw up a little project I did few years back when I was reassembling my Bantam. The way wipers on mine were hardened and crumbling. Clausing said they could still be ordered but the cost was un-holy!!! I reverse engineered off the one that was still intact and made myself a little open pour mould out of aluminum. I tried liquid castable polyurethane (so so) and here I tried some metrology putty. I got a small sample of it from a trade show and it turned out to be just enough to fill my mold and make one set! Turned out pretty nice if I do say so:))
The repro rubber is fairly costly but it sure works nice and cures in like 5 minutes. The urethane I got from Smooth-on was messy to mix, took overnight to cure and there seemed to be bunch of air bubbles in the part. My gating and riser design was seat of the pants educated guestimate on dimensoions and proportions. Yeah I know a sheet of neoprene and a utility knife would have been tons easier but hey, this is a hobby after all....

Cheeseking

Active User
Hey the way I see it anything is worth a shot!!
Im Not totally pleased with the 2 materials I tried so far. The repro rubber was super fast and easy to mold and looked great but the compound is too soft IMO and also not sure of the compatibility with the way lube. Its also very pricey which defeats us home guys purpose. The castable urethane (from Smooth-on) set came out so so. Seemed kinda brittle maybe I didnt mix it right. Also for lack of mold release I used some silicone spray and wiped of the excess leaving ony a residue. Its possible it could have not played nice with the urethane. Who knows Im not a chemist :)
Guy - got your email. Id be glad to shoot you a set once I figure out what material /procedure to use. How bout you spring for and send me the goop and Ill make a whole bunch up??
Just have to figure out what material....!

Badge171

Active User
Have the same machine. Love it, CRAZY expensive parts,,,,, I used thick felt for my wipers. Very inexpensive ,worked great. I do have a follower rest 11" ,and a 12" OEM steady rest I would like to sell.
Regards
Frank

Cheeseking

Active User
Very stoked! Scored an OEM taper turning attachment for my 11"x 30
Dont have any pics yet its all apart being cleaned pc by pc. Got the original install manual and brochure to boot. Oh btw $0. Long story. I had to forfit my existing cross slide leadscrew and nut.
8e2upa5u.jpg
ezyhuven.jpg

Attachments

Badge171

Active User
lathe 045.JPG Here is a picture of mine . Long story but I bought it, tore it apart, , move in my basement, along with my Bridgeport,Rebuilt both bridgeport 006.JPG bridgeport 002.JPG THEN sold the house. Tore apart again now its in my new home , along with the Bridgeport , tough project, But happy ending,
Regards

lathe 003.JPG lathe 045.JPG bridgeport 002.JPG bridgeport 006.JPG

Cheeseking

Active User
Looks nice Badge... Im so dreading when the day comes to move. Hopefully youre there for awhile now! Are the 5c collets for a closer on the lathe?

Badge171

Active User
Yes
It has a D1-3 mount and a 5c collet system, finally found a steady rest,, But always searching for a Follow rest, Love the machine ,had a South Bend 9A , This one is so much more rigid and precise,
Regards

Cheeseking

Active User
Forgot to mention the neat little HI/LO/Stop lever modification. Pretty cool especially for shorter persons. The stock location is quite high.
Also looks like you have the cherrying head in back. What are those typically used for btw?

Badge171

Active User
I do have a shaping attachment, Its uses are vast, slot cutting and any shaping your tool profile will cut, truth is have not used it much, got a great deal on it and had to have it. The switch I made up after an article in home shop machinist, Really like it once you train the brain not to reach for the motor switch, Check the oiler.. Much better than wearing all the oil in the beginning of a project, You can regulate the amount
Regards
Frank

Cheeseking

Active User
Well I got my original feeddscrew/nut back (more long story) so now can change back and forth as req. ill leave the main taper attachment bracket on just switch screwz when needed. Got matching Royal 5C closer as well. Very excited to get everything cleaned up and mounted.
May have to comeup with a no drill or cut mount for the lever bracket. Dont like hacking on irreplacable stuff.

dogbed

Active User
Guy,

I think I have the same lathe as you. I bought it on craigslist this weekend. I cant seem to find any info on this unit. I have had a quick look over it and the only thing resembling a model number is 0857, in small letters, above the badge on the gearbox. Any ideas?

IMG_3002[1].JPG

Colin

IMG_3002[1].JPG

drs23

Active User
Those are two gouges machines. I envy your skill and craftsmanship! At the risk of being nosy do you mind me asking how much it cost you to make them like new and how many man hours it took?

My hat's off to you sir. That's some of the finest work I've seen anywhere.

Sincere congratulations on two jobs well done?

Dale

TAWP Tool

Colin,

That is the same lathe! I have sold mine, but you are now in possession of one fine machine! I wish that I hadn't sold mine, but my situation warranted it.

What I typically searched for was the UK equivalent, the Bantam 2000. They are the same lathes as your Clausing/Colchester 11x30

You can find the serial number of your lathe on the tailstock end of the bed. Might have to clean it off. Contact Clausing with the serial number and they will be able to tell you who they shipped the lathe to and what year it is. Parts are available from them, but quite expensive.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Guy

Guy,

I think I have the same lathe as you. I bought it on craigslist this weekend. I cant seem to find any info on this unit. I have had a quick look over it and the only thing resembling a model number is 0857, in small letters, above the badge on the gearbox. Any ideas?

View attachment 58850

Colin

Cheeseking

Active User
Guy...Nooooooooooooo way!! You sold that beauty????!!! Sorry to hear it but I understand sometimes circumstance dictates.

Dogbed the 11x30 is a wonderful machine you wont be disappointed. Perfect size for home/hobby use. Mostly it was hundreds of hours over a cookie sheet, rags, wire brushing and spraying each pc nut bolt etc. The machine at its core was sound when I got it just needed a good clean. I think I posted the pdf manual in the uploads section so you can pull a copy. If not PM or email me.
If you have any questions I'll br glad to help you out since I am very familiar with this particular machine.

Flightmap

Active User
I too, called Clausing on the the way wipers: way too expensive!!! If you continue in your pursuit of a "home made version" I would be very interested in the possibility of purchasing a set.

Right now, I am using bicycle tire rubber as a substitute

Ken

Cheeseking

Active User
I still have the mold and some castable urethane. So I could certainly try and make a few more if it will help. Looks like we have 2 or 3 of us here with 11" Colchesters that could use a set?

Cheeseking

Active User
Ok guys give me a bit and I will work on this and pour some. The blue repro rubber from flexbar co molds beautifully but its pretty soft when cured IMO and def not cheap! I think I mentioned in one of the posts I wasnt too thrilled with the particular compound I initially used. Its nasty stuff to mix, fumes, gloves, sensitive to moisture the works. Been sitting for 5 years so the shelf life is way gone. If anyone wants to pony up and buy their choice of pourable material, send it to me and Id be glad to give it a shot. Otherwise I will try another batch of this PMC-790 see if I cant get a better cure this time.
If they come out decent Ill let you guys know and we'll work out a very reasonable deal. Obviously my intent is not to hawk stuff for sale here just poorly compensate for my effort and shipping

These are not fully detailed prints by any means but give the basic concept. Feel free to copy, improve, make your own mold etc..
uvesubeg.jpg any4y7an.jpg
4yrute4u.jpg
ynetuvaq.jpg

Heres a few pics of the original wiper (black) the repro rubber (blue) and the PMC-790 (amber).
9ega3usa.jpg puba4aqa.jpg

And the mold
uqypa6um.jpg
se3e6udy.jpg
uru9y2y6.jpg
a9yge4ur.jpg
a9emu9e8.jpg

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]