Clausing/Colchester 11" (Colchester Bantam 2000)

Hey the way I see it anything is worth a shot!!
Im Not totally pleased with the 2 materials I tried so far. The repro rubber was super fast and easy to mold and looked great but the compound is too soft IMO and also not sure of the compatibility with the way lube. Its also very pricey which defeats us home guys purpose. The castable urethane (from Smooth-on) set came out so so. Seemed kinda brittle maybe I didnt mix it right. Also for lack of mold release I used some silicone spray and wiped of the excess leaving ony a residue. Its possible it could have not played nice with the urethane. Who knows Im not a chemist :)
Guy - got your email. Id be glad to shoot you a set once I figure out what material /procedure to use. How bout you spring for and send me the goop and Ill make a whole bunch up??
Just have to figure out what material....!

Have the same machine. Love it, CRAZY expensive parts,,,,, I used thick felt for my wipers. Very inexpensive ,worked great. I do have a follower rest 11" ,and a 12" OEM steady rest I would like to sell.
Regards
Frank

Very stoked! Scored an OEM taper turning attachment for my 11"x 30
Dont have any pics yet its all apart being cleaned pc by pc. Got the original install manual and brochure to boot. Oh btw $0. Long story. I had to forfit my existing cross slide leadscrew and nut.
8e2upa5u.jpg
ezyhuven.jpg

8e2upa5u.jpg

ezyhuven.jpg

lathe 045.JPGHere is a picture of mine . Long story but I bought it, tore it apart, , move in my basement, along with my Bridgeport,Rebuilt bothbridgeport 006.JPGbridgeport 002.JPG THEN sold the house. Tore apart again now its in my new home , along with the Bridgeport , tough project, But happy ending,
Regards

lathe 003.JPG lathe 045.JPG bridgeport 002.JPG bridgeport 006.JPG

Looks nice Badge... Im so dreading when the day comes to move. Hopefully youre there for awhile now! Are the 5c collets for a closer on the lathe?

Yes
It has a D1-3 mount and a 5c collet system, finally found a steady rest,, But always searching for a Follow rest, Love the machine ,had a South Bend 9A , This one is so much more rigid and precise,
Regards

Forgot to mention the neat little HI/LO/Stop lever modification. Pretty cool especially for shorter persons. The stock location is quite high.
Also looks like you have the cherrying head in back. What are those typically used for btw?

I do have a shaping attachment, Its uses are vast, slot cutting and any shaping your tool profile will cut, truth is have not used it much, got a great deal on it and had to have it. The switch I made up after an article in home shop machinist, Really like it once you train the brain not to reach for the motor switch, Check the oiler.. Much better than wearing all the oil in the beginning of a project, You can regulate the amount
Regards
Frank

Well I got my original feeddscrew/nut back (more long story) so now can change back and forth as req. ill leave the main taper attachment bracket on just switch screwz when needed. Got matching Royal 5C closer as well. Very excited to get everything cleaned up and mounted.
May have to comeup with a no drill or cut mount for the lever bracket. Dont like hacking on irreplacable stuff.

Back