Clausing/Colchester 11" (Colchester Bantam 2000)

Guy,

I think I have the same lathe as you. I bought it on craigslist this weekend. I cant seem to find any info on this unit. I have had a quick look over it and the only thing resembling a model number is 0857, in small letters, above the badge on the gearbox. Any ideas?

IMG_3002[1].JPG

Colin

IMG_3002[1].JPG

Those are two gouges machines. I envy your skill and craftsmanship! At the risk of being nosy do you mind me asking how much it cost you to make them like new and how many man hours it took?

My hat's off to you sir. That's some of the finest work I've seen anywhere.

Sincere congratulations on two jobs well done?

Dale

Colin,

That is the same lathe! I have sold mine, but you are now in possession of one fine machine! I wish that I hadn't sold mine, but my situation warranted it.

What I typically searched for was the UK equivalent, the Bantam 2000. They are the same lathes as your Clausing/Colchester 11x30

You can find the serial number of your lathe on the tailstock end of the bed. Might have to clean it off. Contact Clausing with the serial number and they will be able to tell you who they shipped the lathe to and what year it is. Parts are available from them, but quite expensive.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Guy

Guy,

I think I have the same lathe as you. I bought it on craigslist this weekend. I cant seem to find any info on this unit. I have had a quick look over it and the only thing resembling a model number is 0857, in small letters, above the badge on the gearbox. Any ideas?

View attachment 58850

Colin

Guy...Nooooooooooooo way!! You sold that beauty????!!! Sorry to hear it but I understand sometimes circumstance dictates.

Dogbed the 11x30 is a wonderful machine you wont be disappointed. Perfect size for home/hobby use. Mostly it was hundreds of hours over a cookie sheet, rags, wire brushing and spraying each pc nut bolt etc. The machine at its core was sound when I got it just needed a good clean. I think I posted the pdf manual in the uploads section so you can pull a copy. If not PM or email me.
If you have any questions I'll br glad to help you out since I am very familiar with this particular machine.

I too, called Clausing on the the way wipers: way too expensive!!! If you continue in your pursuit of a "home made version" I would be very interested in the possibility of purchasing a set.

Right now, I am using bicycle tire rubber as a substitute

Ken

I'd love to see details on the wipers you've come up with.

I still have the mold and some castable urethane. So I could certainly try and make a few more if it will help. Looks like we have 2 or 3 of us here with 11" Colchesters that could use a set?

Ok guys give me a bit and I will work on this and pour some. The blue repro rubber from flexbar co molds beautifully but its pretty soft when cured IMO and def not cheap! I think I mentioned in one of the posts I wasnt too thrilled with the particular compound I initially used. Its nasty stuff to mix, fumes, gloves, sensitive to moisture the works. Been sitting for 5 years so the shelf life is way gone. If anyone wants to pony up and buy their choice of pourable material, send it to me and Id be glad to give it a shot. Otherwise I will try another batch of this PMC-790 see if I cant get a better cure this time.
If they come out decent Ill let you guys know and we'll work out a very reasonable deal. Obviously my intent is not to hawk stuff for sale here just poorly compensate for my effort and shipping

These are not fully detailed prints by any means but give the basic concept. Feel free to copy, improve, make your own mold etc..
uvesubeg.jpgany4y7an.jpg
4yrute4u.jpg
ynetuvaq.jpg

Heres a few pics of the original wiper (black) the repro rubber (blue) and the PMC-790 (amber).
9ega3usa.jpgpuba4aqa.jpg

And the mold
uqypa6um.jpg
se3e6udy.jpg
uru9y2y6.jpg
a9yge4ur.jpg
a9emu9e8.jpg

uvesubeg.jpg

any4y7an.jpg

4yrute4u.jpg

ynetuvaq.jpg

9ega3usa.jpg