Clausing/Colchester 11" (Colchester Bantam 2000)

Clem. Could a key be sheared and power is being transmitted only via friction? Theres a 1/8" dia shear pin on the headstock gear that drives the input to the feed gearbox. Maybe check that pin.

Hello,
Thank you very much for replying so quickly. I'll check this but I'm pretty sure it's ok. When I take the cover off the back and turn the headstock spindle by hand I can see the input to feed gearbox turning. I fear I may have to look inside the gearbox itself but I'm not sure how I do this. Any advice gratefully received!
Thanks.

Hello. I've also just bought a Bantam 2000 Mk2., which has a 3kW two speed 415V three phase motor. I though I might swap in a new, dual voltage, lower power motor but, after a bit of reading on the internet and a lot of talking to people, I decided to try just hooking it up to a 2.2kW (I think) VFB inverter. I wired it up to the low-speed windings on the motor and it seems to work a treat. At the moment, my max. speed is 990rpm. I tried hooking the inverter up to the high speed windings (let's call them terminals 4, 5 and 6), leaving terminals 1, 2 and 3 unconnected and, although it did run up to full speed, it was low on torque. However, when I turned the frequency down on the inverter, it had more torque although, obviously, at lower speed. My next thing is to try hooking the inverter up to terminals 4, 5 and 6 and connecting terminals 1, 2 and 3 together, to see if that works any better for the high speed. I'm going to stay on the low speed windings for now, as I rarely need to go above 990rpm. Obviously, I won't be getting the full 3kW of power but I doubt I'll notice that. I'm running the inverter off a 240V, single phase supply through a 13A plug with no problems so far. If necessary, I will swap in a proper dual voltage motor at a later date. There's quite a bit of stuff about this on the internet and, if you're in the UK, I can let you know who I bought the inverters off as he's a very helpful man: with his advice, I have managed to wire the original apron control lever and also the emergency footbrake into the inverter and they work a treat. I have also managed to wire my coolant pump into another inverter, again with his advice. Please get in touch if you want any more information: I've got a few crude wiring sketches that I did to get it all wired in, and some pictures. Enjoy.

I have a question of my own about changing feed rates on this machine but I think I'd better post it somewhere else in this forum (I've never used a forum for anything before, so am a bit new to it all).

i have a new thread requesting some help that you may be able to answer.
I would appreciate your input. thanks
Simon
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...0-Motor-Problems?p=263614&posted=1#post263614

I almost finished installing latest upgrade on90cd68fd117290bac829aeb0fc59c73b.jpgfd15032be2f3254823d5c9158e024735.jpg7b13a91d43f19e0d44f58bf2e2d4b83e.jpg71d94114a6d01397e446f7cbc849a247.jpg my bantam today. Santa brought me a DroPro magnetic scale DRO couple weeks ago.
Had to mount the cross slide axis scale unconventionally so as to maintain access to the gib adj screws and compound lock bolts.

Nice. I love your mill and lathe setup. I drool a little bit every time I see it.

Keep the pics of them coming.

90cd68fd117290bac829aeb0fc59c73b.jpg

fd15032be2f3254823d5c9158e024735.jpg

7b13a91d43f19e0d44f58bf2e2d4b83e.jpg

71d94114a6d01397e446f7cbc849a247.jpg

90cd68fd117290bac829aeb0fc59c73b.jpg

fd15032be2f3254823d5c9158e024735.jpg

7b13a91d43f19e0d44f58bf2e2d4b83e.jpg

71d94114a6d01397e446f7cbc849a247.jpg

I just joined up to this site after finding this thread which has more photos of the Clausing Colchester 11" than anywhere else on the web I think including Tony's Lathes UK site which actually uses a photo of my lathe for the 11". Anyway, there's some very nice lathes here and I appreciate the photos of the different accessories. I have pretty much everything for my lathe save the taper attachment which I suspect will be something I will search forever. The steadies I found in the UK along with the metric change gears. I have fitted a VFD and a DRO and I'll try to dig up some photos of them if anyone's interested. Here's a shot of my lathe with the Rockwell mill.

i-P8xGwR9-X2.jpg

And there's a very extensive thread on the building of my garage shop here: Mid-Century Moto Mecca Makeover

Cheeseking if you're still making those wipers I'd love to get a set - feel free to PM me or reply here.

Thanks for the info and photos.

Gregor

Hey Gregor welcome aboard! Love seeing other folks with the baby 11" Colchester. Looks like you do some great work in your shop. I'd be curious to see how you mounted the DRO scale on the cross slide. I noodled quite awhile to figure out a mounting method for mine that did not block the compound lock screws. You probably discovered the Bantam is a bit unique from most other lathes in that the lock screws are buried in the cross slide rather than exposed up top. Mounting in the traditional fashion like DRO Pros shows would obscure the RH compound lock screw. It could be left loose but that didn't seem wise. I finally resorted to a custom SS top plate to mount the scale and a bunch of custom machined brackets for the read head to get it done. I have been happy with how it works so far but boy was it a project. Fortunately I have access to sheet metal fabrication equipment at work.
Oh and yes, I still have the mold for the V-wipers. One of these days I need to break out the urethane and make up a few sets to get out to fellow Bantam owners. I shipped 4-5 sets over the years and recently promised someone on here (I forget who now) a set but still have not done it. Lazy me.

Some pics of the DRO mounting. Made several iterations of the top plate till I got one to fit perfect. This is one if the trial ones
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448753631.576142.jpg

Finished install.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448753701.274737.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448753752.924622.jpg

Wrench access
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448753807.657753.jpg

I wanted my DRO to be out of the way and not interfere with any future mods or functionality so I ended up exchanging the slide that came with the DRO for a "slim" unit that I could hide in the notch of the saddle. This has worked out very well for the past 6 years and I can't imagine using a lathe without a DRO (or a mill for that matter).

P1060279-XL.jpg

The scale is protected by a piece of aluminum angle and covers the full range of the cross slide.

P1060282-XL.jpg

P1060283-X3.jpg

20151129-untitled-12-XL.jpg

The DRO was put on a cut and rewelded arm that also holds the remote display/control for the VFD so that I can change the speed easily as I'm cutting. The best advantage of the VFD is the ability to just put the machine into reverse while threading metric. Speaking of which...

20151129-untitled-11-XL.jpg

Since most of my work is on European motorcycles being able to thread metric was an essentially component. It took me about a year to find a 127 change gear but eventually I found that, the rest of the gears to make a complete set, a steady and a follow steady, a 5C collet changer and a number of other small parts.

20151129-untitled-7-XL.jpg

I tried to find the metric threading plate for years and finally gave up and made one myself (with a note to not disengage the half-nut) and had it printed in a style that matched the original. I'd be happy to share the file if anyone else should want to get one printed.

2015-02-28%2012-14-26-XL.jpg

Lastly was a tool holder holder that I made for the AXA holders and for metric threading I made a flip up lay down insert holder that allows me to just reverse the lathe while threading metric without having to back off the crossfeed. Between that and the VFD allowing me to just reverse the lathe metric threading is about as easy as imperial.

Hope that the photos help others with the same lathe.

Gregor

Gregor
I too have the same lathe. Looking at your pictures , your oil site glass looks filled . Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly , or possibly I'm running my machine a lot lower in level than it should be? Any help appreciated.
Frank

Yep thats pretty much the same place I put the read head as well. For reversing I simply pull up on the lever and it reverses instantly although he phase converter definitely shrugs a bit. I take it you are running single phase? Regardless a VFD is nice for infinite speeds that you can change while the machine is running. Badge I noticed the same thing. Hard to tell if its either totally empty or way overfilled. I believe it's supposed to be filled to the center dot. Mine might be a touch over filled.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448836904.805150.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448836920.085928.jpg

Hmm Interesting. Im at Menards picking up some xmas supply's and noticed this
Tellus 32 oil. Think it might be close enough to 27???
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448841038.251013.jpg

Back