Clausing/Colchester 11" (Colchester Bantam 2000)

TAWP Tool

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all,

Just last night I finished the cleanup of my new (to me) lathe. It is a Clausing/Colchester 11" gear head lathe (11x30). It is known as a Colchester Bantam 2000 in the UK. It was built in 1979. This happens to be the youngest machine in my little workshop.

When I received it, it had grease, oil and grime over much of it, but had little to no wear. I retained the stock 2hp 3ph motor, and installed a Teco VFD to manage it. I now have variable speed and a MachTach installed. The panel that it's mounted on is temporary until I can build a suitable dedicated enclosure.

This lathe is probably the one that my Wife will have to bury me with! haha It's a dream to run and I really enjoy it.

I bought it with a Buck 3-jaw chuck, an Aloris QCTP and six tool holders, but little else. I am actively searching for a follow rest and steady rest for it. I would prefer original, but I may have to resort to other options. They are difficult to find!

Guy

And now for some pics...

clausing - 01.jpgclausing - 02.jpgclausing - 03.jpg

clausing - 01.jpg clausing - 02.jpg clausing - 03.jpg

Nice lathe. Thats a perfect size for a home shop. I'm looking for a lathe in that size class, up to like a 13x40 would be ideal. Very very nice. I too would like something newer for a lathe. My newest machine is the Bridgeport 1974 which is not terribly old. My oldest is my 1938 SouthBend 9 without quick change gears or thread indexer.

Hey Guy,

I just found this forum and decided to join. Think I spoke with you on the Colchester users group awhile back and I believe we have pretty much the same exact machines! Yours looks great shape from the pics. I'll have to try and post some of mine from my phone.
I am running it with a 7.5 hp rotary converter but I think VFD definitely has some advantages.
IMO in many respects we have the perfect little home shop lathe. Have not seen anything remotely close (possibly the Emco maximat super-11) as good quality, geared, not too big, not too small. Like you I am tickled to death with it. Parts are still available but bend over and pick up the soap!

I will keep my eye out for a steady and follower for ya. Rare as hens teeth but you never know. The only option mine is missing is the taper attachment.

CK

Figuring out how to post pics.
Anyway here's my Bantam (and my BP mill just got set up after a year of disassembly-cleaning-reassembly)
I have done a few projects but so far most of my time and effort has been getting everything down in the basement and all set up.

Em

Shoot sorry guys I must have done something wrong. All i see are ? ? Marks where pics should be.

Figuring out how to post pics.
Anyway here's my Bantam (and my BP mill just got set up after a year of disassembly-cleaning-reassembly)
I have done a few projects but so far most of my time and effort has been getting everything down in the basement and all set up.

Think I finally figured out how to add pics :))

IMG_1464.jpg IMG_1463.jpg

While Im posting figured Id throw up a little project I did few years back when I was reassembling my Bantam. The way wipers on mine were hardened and crumbling. Clausing said they could still be ordered but the cost was un-holy!!! I reverse engineered off the one that was still intact and made myself a little open pour mould out of aluminum. I tried liquid castable polyurethane (so so) and here I tried some metrology putty. I got a small sample of it from a trade show and it turned out to be just enough to fill my mold and make one set! Turned out pretty nice if I do say so:))
The repro rubber is fairly costly but it sure works nice and cures in like 5 minutes. The urethane I got from Smooth-on was messy to mix, took overnight to cure and there seemed to be bunch of air bubbles in the part. My gating and riser design was seat of the pants educated guestimate on dimensoions and proportions. Yeah I know a sheet of neoprene and a utility knife would have been tons easier but hey, this is a hobby after all....
IMG_0829.jpgIMG_0831.jpgIMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0831.jpg IMG_0830.jpg

Paul, that is awesome! That is some beautiful work!

I too contacted Clausing to see how much a replacement set would cost me. Don't quote me on the price, but I seem to remember that a set was $375! Ouch!

I would like to help you recoup the cost of your time on the molds, and material of course - Can I buy a set from you?

Guy

While Im posting figured Id throw up a little project I did few years back when I was reassembling my Bantam. The way wipers on mine were hardened and crumbling. Clausing said they could still be ordered but the cost was un-holy!!! I reverse engineered off the one that was still intact and made myself a little open pour mould out of aluminum. I tried liquid castable polyurethane (so so) and here I tried some metrology putty. I got a small sample of it from a trade show and it turned out to be just enough to fill my mold and make one set! Turned out pretty nice if I do say so:))
The repro rubber is fairly costly but it sure works nice and cures in like 5 minutes. The urethane I got from Smooth-on was messy to mix, took overnight to cure and there seemed to be bunch of air bubbles in the part. My gating and riser design was seat of the pants educated guestimate on dimensoions and proportions. Yeah I know a sheet of neoprene and a utility knife would have been tons easier but hey, this is a hobby after all....

Back