Clausing Colchester 11"

Bobbycoors

Registered
Registered
I'm not entirely sure if I'm posting this on the correct place. If I'm not I would be greatly appreciative if someone would point me in the correct direction. I have come across a clausing Colchester 11" lathe and I need some advice to figuring out roughly what it's worth. The guy that owns it wants $2500 for it. It only has a 3 jaw chuck and pretty much only comes with what is inIMG_20200527_120918164.jpg the pictures. He does have a 3 phase converter that he is willing to throw in the deal. But it is a bit over kill for this lathe. That and the converter has been sitting out in the elements forever and who knows if it works. Please help!IMG_20200527_120746958.jpgIMG_20200527_120746958.jpgIMG_20200527_120513919_HDR.jpgIMG_20200527_121019748.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_120834007~2.jpg
    IMG_20200527_120834007~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
i have heard that the used market is tough in Texas.
if he threw in the RPC with the lathe for 2500, i would buy it, as is.
if you are adventurous offer him 2000 and explain you will need to tool up and see what he says
it's a good lathe

the rotary phase converter is not really overkill, you will get the full HP from the lathes motor.
a VFD would also suffice to power up the works if the RPC is decided against

What I meant by overkill with the rpc is the size of the thing. The lathe would be going into a shipping container that I use as a shop and space is limited. I'd probably go with a vfd. I also considered looking for a single phase 240v motor with that would fit in the 3 phase motor's place. But then again variable speed sounds nice.

What I meant by overkill with the rpc is the size of the thing. The lathe would be going into a shipping container that I use as a shop and space is limited. I'd probably go with a vfd. I also considered looking for a single phase 240v motor with that would fit in the 3 phase motor's place. But then again variable speed sounds nice.
you'll be about a wash as far as $$$ goes, swapping a single phase motor vs VFD power
i'd suggest VFD, if you have the inclination

i did 3phase conversions on 2 of my Shenwai 1236 lathes (and a bunch of industrial retrofits), maybe the info may help in your quest

i didnt mention this but there is the possibility that i could talk him into delivering it and use the auto crane mounted on his trailer to set the lathe just inside the door of the shipping container it would live in.

That looks like a nice machine. I have had a couple opportunities to pick one of these up over the years but never did and kinda regret it. I like these and think they are well made. If you can hear it run that would be nice make sure the drive train sounds good. A steady would be nice if there was one looks like it has an aloris toolpost and I think a taper attachment.and the bed looks good from what I can see. Looks to be a good quality adjust tru chuck. I think the price is fair. I have two 13" colchesters and have had these for 20 years and had couple 15s before these and they have all been trouble free, that said parts can be very expensive. If I wanted a lathe I think this is a good machine and a fair price and it should last a lifetime if taken care of. You will need to see if the converter works but you can always grab a VFD to run that and it shouldnt be terribly expensive, that would be a very nice setup.

Back