Clausing Colchester 15 is available

Also get a 3/4 thick piece of plywood to put on top of the lathe bed and under the chuck to protect the bed when changing out. Most folks are surprised at first at just how heavy and awkward chucks and face plates can be when you get into industrial size machines.

Years ago, I addressed this problem a little differently. I had some 4x4 fence posts left over from repairs after Hurricane Ike. And a Pratt-Bernerd Buck clone that seems to weigh more than it did when I was 35. I cut a piece of 4x4 to length equal to bed width (on a V-bed you'd have to notch the bottom to clear the "V"). Then lay the 4x4 across the bed and slide it up against the front of the chuck. With a pencil, trace the OD of the chuck onto the side of the block. Cut out the arc and you have a stand for the chuck while connecting or disconnecting it to/from the spindle. If the OD of the chuck isn't smooth, you may have to further notch the arc for clearance. My 4-jaw was that way.

[QUOTE "cut a piece of 4x4 to length equal to bed width (on a V-bed you'd have to notch the bottom to clear the "V"). Then lay the 4x4 across the bed and slide it up against the front of the chuck. With a pencil, trace the OD of the chuck onto the side of the block. Cut out the arc and you have a stand for the chuck while connecting or disconnecting it to/from the spindle. If the OD of the chuck isn't smooth, you may have to further notch the arc for clearance.
Yes, I've done similar for bigger lathes and 8 inch up chucks. Had those at the school shop. Works well when you match the radius/arc to the chuck/faceplate you are taking on and off. Helps minimize pinching of the hands between the chuck and the bed. Ask me how I know! You learn quick after one time.
For the little lathes the piece of plywood is sufficient. As I get older a skyhook or similar will be on the buy list. Used one before. While tedious to remove and install, it is a hand and back saver.
Janderso, it is worth getting a smaller 6 inch chuck for the majority of work. I use a 6 inch most of the time. Reserving the bigger hardware for bigger work. Saves on the wresting when installing the collet chuck. Let us know if you purchase and need any help. Multiple members here own or have operated these.

Took the chuck off yesterday to polish out the spindle taper.
Removing these D1-6 cam lock chucks is a piece of cake. I put 2x4's on the ways.
Much easier than my threaded spindle on the old South Bend.

Hello,
I just checked this lathe out.
Serial number is— 6/0015/05751, I am trying to determine the year of production.View attachment 284010View attachment 284011View attachment 284012View attachment 284013View attachment 284014View attachment 284015
Everything works great! I love the features of this lathe. The ways are clean and the saddle, compound are smooth and have little free play.
The brake works well, auto reverse, vari-speed is noisy but not overly so.
I like this old lathe.
Spindle taper is spotless.
What are the common issues to watch for?
Mine is 06/0015 19956 and is a late 70's. Haven't found actual year yet.

Mine is 06/0015 19956 and is a late 70's. Haven't found actual year yet.
Hello petryss
You brought my thread back to life.
Congratulations on you lathe.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.
It took me a while to get use to my lathe-same as yours. I,ve emptied the cavernous chip pan a few times now. We have become best friends.
A word of warning, I checked the oil lines in the headstock and found the clear hose to the spindle bearing had come out of its hole.
I replaced the tube with a new flexible tube. Scared the bajesus out of me but all seems well.
Hey, tell us about your lathe, take some pics.
Jeff

Way back in the previous century and twenty five years, I walked into a shop looking for a job. It turned out to be a machine shop, I was a mechanic! They hired me on the spot, because I could actually read a set of mics! They put me on a Warner-Swassy 5A machine and I thought I was a machinist! After a while I realized I was just “ horse power! About this time we were trying to be more correct .... and were making a lot of junk parts! The boss asked me if I wanted to sign on the job of “ rework” . This was after only being there 9 months! I jumped on the job and he put me on a 15 inch Calausing/Clochester lathe very similar to the one in your picture! I loved that machine! I now have a 12 inch Clausing, but it’s nothing like that beauty!

Bones

Well boneyard, I love this lathe too.
Pic of it set up in my shop.

Attachments

• 93781984-7785-49DF-9787-737AFA52E283.jpeg
    93781984-7785-49DF-9787-737AFA52E283.jpeg
    870 KB · Views: 33
  • 3C7DF71E-FB2D-4964-BFF5-46D9BF906B34.jpeg
    3C7DF71E-FB2D-4964-BFF5-46D9BF906B34.jpeg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 29
Well boneyard, I love this lathe too.
Pic of it set up in my shop.
Looks like you have yourself set up for some fun! Nice layout! I see you are a Ford man and ride motorcycles! Excellent!

Bones

Back